“Happy holidays” or “Merry Christmas”?

Corryn Brock, Reporter

Happy Holidays from the Hawks. Several people in our community are unhappy about the happy holiday wishes. "I'm not happy about this... Merry Christmas," Ally Stout-Henry.

Meridian Hawks
Happy Holidays from the Hawks. Are people in our community unhappy about the happy holiday wishes? “I’m not happy about this… Merry Christmas,” Ally Stout-Henry.

Happy Holidays? Merry Christmas? What’s the big deal?

Over the past few years it’s become apparent that Christmas is no longer the main focus in December. Many people have begun saying “Happy Holidays” in stores, restaurants, and so on; out of respect for the several other holidays going on at the same time. Many religions celebrate their own special days at the same time as Christians, and it isn’t a “war on Christmas.” Happy Holidays shouldn’t offend anyone (neither should Merry Christmas), but it seems to be getting under a lot of people’s skin.

I have been raised Lutheran and around Catholics my entire life, who all “put the Christ in Christmas.” However, I still understand other people have their own religions and holidays to celebrate, and I love it. I love that we live in a country where you can express your religious beliefs freely and celebrate whatever holidays you want. We are a nation of immigrants, from all over the world, who come from many different backgrounds. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, Boxing Day; all of these holidays and many more are celebrated as we go through the month of December, because they all mean something.

The idea that you can take the “Christ out of Christmas” is ludicrous, and no one is trying to. Businesses that are using “Happy Holidays” are only trying to appeal to more customers. Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, Bodhi Day are all religious holidays that have gone years in the United States without having their special day mentioned to them during the holiday season. They have gone all this time with little to no complaint. So the question remains, is there anything to really complain about?

Have a wonderful holiday season and remember to respect the diversity of our great country.