• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Meridian’s yearbook “legacy”

Meridian’s yearbook “legacy”

Staff members gather around the Yearbook Legacy Contest Award. This is Meridian's second year in a row to win this recognition, which comes with a $250 award.

Staff members gather around the Yearbook Legacy Contest Award. This is Meridian's second year in a row to win this recognition, which comes with a $250 award. "It's really exciting winning awards, especially since it was my first time being editor," said Makayla Sims, former Editor-in-Chief of the Meridian Moments yearbook.

Tony Capps

Tony Capps

Tony Capps

Amber Miller, Reporter

Recently, the 2017/2018 yearbook won the Yearbook Legacy Contest Award. This award was presented to the Meridian Moments Yearbook staff on March 6 by Brandon Pinkston, Territory Manager from Inter-State Studios (the company who hosts the competition).

“We provide you a chance to win money for your school and a plaque to let everyone know you’re a winner,” according to Inter-State Studio’s website.

The 2017/2018 yearbook was submitted for competition in the grades 6-12 category.

“Not going to lie, blood, sweat, and tears, went into making the book,” said Makayla Sims, Editor-in-Chief for the 2017/2018 yearbook.

Sims was chosen to lead last year’s staff after she served as a staff member her junior year.

“I was really excited when I found out we won, we all worked so hard on that book to win an award,” said Claire Palmer, a yearbook staff member.

Entries are judged based on design and creativity, theme development, photography, written content, and overall impression.

“It’s nice that we won, I’m happy because it’s nice to be apart of something winning at this school,” said Hannah Reichert, a yearbook staff member.

Last years staff members wanted a recognizable theme.  The members wanted to cover everyone at least three times so created a coverage binder. Each student in the school had a page in the binder and was asked what page they preferred to be included.

“I thought she was creating a ton of work for herself with the binder, but it turns out it was a genius way of getting everyone covered as many times as possible,” said Sheila Moore, yearbook adviser. “She did a brilliant job, and I loved every second of working with this editor.”

The staff hopes to keep impressing people and have even more awards than the previous year. Last year they went with a textbook theme and dissected what makes a Hawk. The staff likes being congratulated and recognized for the risk they take with their books.

“Receiving the award makes me feel great because my team worked really hard,” said Sims.