MHS earns Safe Sports School Award

Safety is key. Meridian received a 1st Team recognition Safe Sports School award from the National Athletic Trainer's Association. A combination of procedure,  resources, and the work of athletic trainer Ann Hargrove helped Meridian win the award. Athletic Director Mike Bender told NATA,

National Athletic Trainers' Association

Safety is key. Meridian received a 1st Team recognition Safe Sports School award from the National Athletic Trainer's Association. A combination of procedure, resources, and the work of athletic trainer Ann Hargrove helped Meridian win the award. Athletic Director Mike Bender told NATA," "Meridian High School is honored to receive this 1st Team recognition from NATA, and we remain committed to keeping our students safe during physical education classes, team practices and games so they can accomplish their own goals of great competition, winning records, fair sportsmanship and good health. Our goal is to lead our athletics program to the highest safe standards for our players."

Corryn Brock, Reporter

Meridian Senior High School has earned the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) Safe Sports School award.

According to NATA schools must do the following to earn a Safe Sports School Award:

• create a positive athletic health care administrative system
  • provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations
  • promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
  • plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
  • provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
  • develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
  • provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education
  • be sure athletes and parents are educated about the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities

Ann Hargrove, Meridian’s athletic trainer, belongs to the National Athletic Trainers’ Association. Hargrove realized Meridian qualified for the award and informed MHS principal, Eric Hurelbrink.  The two of them, along with others, submitted an application that included information on school policies, what injuries Hargrove has seen/ how she treated the injury, as well as the rehab process injured students go through.

Hurelbrink found out in March the school qualified for an award. Later, on April 15, Meridian received 1st Team Recognition, which is the highest division of the award. He says, “it’s exciting to see your school recognized for the hard work people do. I think Ann does a tremendous job as our trainer, and winning that award is because of the work she does.” Hurelbrink adds, “It’s a definite recognition of the hard work she puts in for us.”

Hargrove says, “we were all really excited, we know that we do everything right, and we put everything in place for a reason. It’s just nice to get nationally recognized for all of the work that we do and continue to do to keep our athletes safe.”