Senioritis

Senior Gage Hollgarth is working hard in math class to get all of his work completed.

Senior Gage Hollgarth is working hard in math class to get all of his work completed. "I know when I go to college the homework won't stop, so I can't get into any bad habits now."

Nathaniel Durbin

Nathaniel Durbin

Nathaniel Durbin, Reporter

Senioritis noun  se·nior·i·tis  \ ˌsē-nyər-ˈī-təs \: an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades. At Meridian High School, with graduation right around the corner, some seniors have caught a severe case of the fictional disease. 

Seniors at Meridian High School, have only four full weeks of school left and some are itching to get out as soon as possible. From a guidance counselor perspective, Mrs. Johnson who is in her third year says, “Seniors are ready to get out of high school, ready for summer and ready to get their life started in college.”  She adds, “They have to remember to stick it out for the next four weeks and finish what they have been working hard for the past three years.”

With four weeks left, it could be easy to just not want to do the work assigned or show up late. Senior Nathan Berger got hit hard by senioritis and earlier than most. Berger is now changing his ways and working hard to get out of the hole he dug himself in. “I have been working a lot harder the past week so I can graduate with my friends and the Class of 2018.”

In April, the weather is typically warm, lately, it has been the opposite. This has made it easier for Senior Megan Hill to finish the school year on a high note. “Usually, at this time, I’m dying for summer to start but with the weather being cold lately, it doesn’t even feel like summer is almost here.” Hill adds, “To this point, I have continued to work hard because I know high school is nearly over and I am ready to start the next chapter of my life.”