NHS Blood Drive

NHS Blood Drive

Saving Lives! Students and members of the community came to Meridian High School on Friday, March 2, to donate blood.

Saving Lives! Students and members of the community came to Meridian High School on Friday, March 2, to donate blood. "I enjoy working at the blood drive as a part of NHS, because even though I am not giving blood, I still feel like I'm helping in some way," says NHS member, Kaelee Stockton.

Hannah Craft

Hannah Craft

Hannah Craft

Emma Jackson, Reporter

Friday, March 2, the National Honors Society hosted a blood drive. Students and members of the community volunteered to give blood at Meridian High School. The American Red Cross came to the school and kicked off the drive at 8:30 a.m.

NHS hosts the blood drive three times each school year. Once in August with school registration, in November, and again in March. On March 2, 86 units of blood were collected, and nine people were able to successfully give double red cell donations. NHS does not profit from hosting the blood drive. Although, if they collect over 201 units a school year, they qualify for a $2500 scholarship.

“Yesterday’s successful drive qualifies us for the $2500 again this year. The seniors who receive a scholarship have to either be a member of NHS or a red cord blood donor. (3 donations while in HS),” said Mrs. Rappé, sponsor of NHS.

NHS members worked at the blood drive, helping to unload, greet donors, provide a snack after giving blood, etc. These members worked in shifts all day at the blood drive, not counting as their mandatory service hours needed to be a member of NHS.

“I have worked the blood drive twice. It’s great to see all different ages coming in. Some people have donated over ninety times,” says NHS member, Hannah Craft.

Alexis Rosenberger has given blood four times. Mainly because her grandma is in charge of the blood drive and “forces” her, but she also likes receiving the emails that tell where your blood is going and who it is going to help.

“If you are looking to help people, I would encourage it [giving blood] it’s not as bad as everyone says it is,” Rosenberger states.