Serving up success, Tiffiany Gilliam

Bobbi Gilliam

Connor Hurelbrink, Reporter

Tiffiany Gilliam works close to 40 hours a week at Steak ‘n Shake because it’s a good first job.

Gilliam is like many other students at Meridian High School. She enjoys hanging out with her friends and playing video games. She has a weekend and after school job; however, unlike other students, she can boast that she works alongside her mother. The life of a high school student is a stressful one. “My favorite part about working for Steak ‘n Shake is the kids, they always make me smile when I’m having a bad day,” said T. Gilliam. 

T. Gilliam started working at Steak ‘n Shake around two months ago. In those short two months, her favorite co-worker excluding her mom, is “David the Shake boy,  because he makes me laugh if I get upset,” said T. Gilliam with a smile. Having someone that cheers you up at work can be an important part in getting through a tough work day.

“Me and my mom get on each others nerves a little bit when we work the same shifts,” says T. Gilliam with a laugh. Spending too much time with your parents can be nerve racking. Especially for teenagers. Bobbi Gilliam, Tiffiany’s mother, says that it is stressful working with your daughter, but it is also fun.

Now you may be wondering how this freshman is working 4o hours a week and going to school? Or even why she wants to work? “I am working so I can get experience, and get a higher paying job in the future,” says T. Gilliam.

Gilliam’s friend Hailey O’Neil says, “We have to hang out whenever she isn’t working.” The friends spend that extra time walking around town.

However, no matter how often you and your  parents get on each other’s nerves, they always look out for you. “My favorite part about working with my mom is that she will run my tables for me if I am busy,” T. Gilliam said.

“She is learning and earning money at the same time, so I am very proud of her,” says B. Gilliam.