Enjoy prom, at your own expenses

Enjoy prom, at your own expenses

Happy 25th prom night, Meridian! Evan Dawson, senior, and his date, Claire Palmer, junior, show off their final look. A few days before, Dawson was informed of being included on prom court, so they had to make sure to look flawless.

Happy 25th prom night, Meridian! Evan Dawson, senior, and his date, Claire Palmer, junior, show off their final look. A few days before, Dawson was informed of being included on prom court, so they had to make sure to look flawless. "I'm an uncommon vote," said Dawson, I didn't expect it."

Alex Garcia

Alex Garcia

Alex Garcia

Mikayla Dahlkamp, Reporter

Prom season has come and gone once again, leaving students with memories and exhaustion. Students at Meridian High School got ready Saturday, April 27, some for their first time and others their last, for the last major outing of the year.

No matter if they had a date or went with a group of friends, everyone got to experience the dollar signs that came with the experience, some reluctantly, some with open arms.

However, it’d be interesting to compare the price difference between the young men and women who attended the dance. One could think the process for any girl is more costly for the simple fact they have all of the extra “stuff” such as: hair, nails, looking tan, and makeup.

In order to get the most realistic results, I asked a couple who went to prom to add their totals of every item they purchased. I was shocked when I saw their individual lists. The outcome is certainly surprising but here it is:

For the man’s perspective, we will use Evan Dawson:

suit $495. 00

shirt $145.00

shoes $169.00

belt $82.50

watch $275.00

cuff $49.50

tie $79.50

pocket hanky was free

socks $19.95

corsage $40

Coming to a whopping $1, 355.45.

For the woman’s perspective,  we will use Claire Palmer:

nails and makeup were done by mom, Aliza Palmer, for free

hair done by grandma, Sue Ellen Hinkle, for free

dress $570

shoes $70

Contrary to stereotypical beliefs, the woman in this instance spent less, however she luckily had family who could cushion the expenses with their abilities in different areas of cosmetology.

All in all, gender has slim to no effect on the total cost of prom, it all depends on how “all out” students feel they need to go, at least how much their parents allow them to go. As you can see, some of them have “the sky is the limit” outlook on the entire process.