• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Momo challenge

Momo%2C+the+sculpture%2C+has+had+a+long+stay+on+the+internet.+Created+in+Japan+by+Keisuke+Aiso%2C+who+has+said+the+curse+is+removed.+

Momo challenge

Momo, the sculpture, has had a long stay on the internet. Created in Japan by Keisuke Aiso, who has said the curse is removed.

guaxipo

guaxipo

guaxipo

Seth Barnes, Reporter

Social media has the habit of recycling old content, sometimes the nastiest things can resurface. The Momo challenge is a song and a number you can contact. The way the song goes makes it seem like a game, in which it targets younger children and creates problems for parents.

The thought that your own child might view this inappropriate content is scary. It targets kids who might view innocent YouTube videos. There are many ways to be affected by Momo, from the number you can call to contact it, to a song that’s meant to terrify. The YouTuber Peppa Pig is one of the origins of the YouTube phenomena with Momo.

Momo is like a creepypasta, along with others like Slender Man,  the Rake, etc.  Creepypastas are fictional creatures or people who torment people. They are usually created through rumors, urban legends, or campfire stories. Some believe that MoMo is just a front, a face for hackers. It’s been said that hackers could be from Japan and that contacting one could result in a virus on your device.

The disturbing fact about Momo is that it’s targeted at little kids. Kids’ shows, shows meant to be innocent, could, in fact, contain information to make children look for harmful things to do to themselves. Hackers would trick children into self-harm, and many other gruesome activities. Often, the hackers requested photographic evidence.

Momo rose to the internet a couple of years ago, it didn’t have as much of a following as it does now. There are reports of suicides from boys and girls that are connected to Momo. Momo supposedly arose on the internet in August 2012, when a 12-year-old girl took her life as a result of a supposed exposure to Momo. Aiso, the original artist of the Momo sculpture, has publicly come out that the curse is lifted. He said, “The children can be reassured Momo is dead.”

The fact that there was supposedly a curse connected to the rubber, nature oil sculpture is spooky. Where did this curse come from? Hopefully, this gruesome game can be finally put to rest. (To find out more information about the Momo challenge, visit the creepypasta website, https://www.creepypasta.com/my-son-did-the-momo-challenge/ ).