#TannerTough

#TannerTough

The Rock Doctor created a rock to show his support of Tanner Gillen.

"The Rock Doctor"

"The Rock Doctor"

"The Rock Doctor"

Seth Barnes, Reporter

Tanner Gillen, son of Amy Gillen and Scott Jam, was diagnosed with Brain Cancer, in May of 2018. On January 23, he, unfortunately, passed away from Glioblastoma. It is a fast, rapid growing tumor in the brain, after passing, he gifted his tumor and tissue to help better for a cure.

Tanner Gillen resided in Decatur, many people have taken to show their support for him, back in summer of 2018, a fundraiser was launched on GoFundMe, a site where you can contact people to help you raise money. The site raised a total over $28,000 of their $50,000 goal. They still have active donators, with the most recent being from an Anonymous source at a total of $1,000.

A Memorial of Gillen’s life was held at 1:00 p.m. on February 3, 2019, at First Church of the Nazarene. He attended Warrensburgh-Latham Middle School, was an avid gamer and big Chicago Cubs fan.

Schools have taken to show support for Gillen, wearing Blue to symbolize him. Some schools had shirts made for him; with his passing, social media has blown up.

Meridian joined in this support after the passing of Gillen, Tuesday, January 29. Students and staff wore blue clothing. As stated in the Herald & Review, Gillen was a big Anthony Rizzo fan; he enjoyed cooking shows, Japanese culture, and music of all kinds.

Jake Rhodes, the cousin of Tanner Gillen, describes him as “an inspiration, he touched many people through his journey.”

Rhodes was close to him for most of his life, seeing him pass away took a toll on Rhodes, he looked at him as a “wingman, wannabe Call of Duty pro, and the worst golf cart driver.”

“I’ll always love you and I’ll never forget all the great memories we had,” said Rhodes.

If you would like to donate, visit their GoFundMe.

Follow #tannertough on Instagram.

Find the full obituary here.