• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Honoring the artists

Honoring the artists

While at the Honors Day event, many different types of media are present. The students are able to create freely and express their creative abilities.

While at the Honors Day event, many different types of media are present. The students are able to create freely and express their creative abilities. "My favorite part was working with the alcohol inks," said Emmy Renfro.

Laura Klink

Laura Klink

Laura Klink

Karrigan True, Reporter

The Scholastic Honors Day event is an annual gathering of art students. Any student who received a Gold Key award during Scholastic Art and Writing Awards that took place in January are automatically invited. In addition, two students chosen by Ms. Laura Klink, MHS art teacher, were also able to attend. This year, it was held on Friday, February 22 at the Springfield Art Association.

“The students I chose are strong in art class, dedicated, and take the subject matter seriously,” said Klink.

Emily Gillespie (8th grade), Emmy Renfro (8th grade), Alexis Rosenberger (senior), and Trent Reynolds (junior) were the four students invited to attend.

When Renfro found out she was invited, she thought it would be a “good opportunity to experience different kinds of art media.”

The first thing students do when they arrive is a doodle contest. This allows them to be creative and think of ideas for the day. They have a morning workshop where they can work with clay, paint, draw, or whatever they choose. A second workshop is held in the afternoon for working with another media of choice.

“This is a great opportunity for students to get out of the class and be with like-minded people,” said Klink

Students have the opportunity to learn a lot of new skills while they attend. The organizers incorporate lots of media which provides students with a wide variety of options. Medias such as clay, paint, drawing, calligraphy, digital, and much more are at the event.

“I learned a lot about how to work with clay and get things right,” said Reynolds, Gold Key recipient.

The day is full of opportunities for students to meet new people, create, and learn.

“At the end of the day, I treat my students to either Starbucks or Steak ‘n Shake milkshakes, they’re going to have to decide what they want,” said Klink.