The great debate

Sophomore+debaters+Haley+Grimes+and+Crystal+Sheumaker+have+a+mean+stare+down+weeks+before+the+debate.++The+debate+will+take+place+in+December.+

The great debate

Sophomore debaters Haley Grimes and Crystal Sheumaker have a mean stare down weeks before the debate.  The debate will take place in December.

Sophomore debaters Haley Grimes and Crystal Sheumaker have a mean stare down weeks before the debate. The debate will take place in December.

Korey Damery

Korey Damery

Korey Damery

Korey Damery, Reporter

Every year, English II students go through the debate unit. It starts off with several teams who randomly select topics to debate with other teams. Once all of the teams debate, Ms. Moore makes two teams of three by picking the best six debaters. This year, the top six are Ellen Jackson, Hallie Gates, Haley Grimes, Crystal Shuemaker, Lyric Greenwood, and Chloe Moyer.

“I am very surprised I got picked, I didn’t think I did that well during the first round so making it to the next was very unexpected,” said Ellen Jackson. “I am really excited to see how it turns out but I am also really nervous and scared to mess up in front of everyone.”

This year the debate teams will argue whether or not school staff should be able to carry a firearm.

“I’m excited to be in the debate because I really enjoy arguing and doing the research,” said Hallie Gates. “I like that nobody can get mad about what I argue because it might not even be my opinion, I’m also nervous because I know the rest of my team members are really good so things could get pretty intense.”

The winner of this year’s debate will debate last year’s winners: Seth Barns, Brian Reed, and Mallory Scurlock.