A colorful surprise for pediatric patients

Brighten+a+day.+The+FCS+club+delivers+crayons+to+Decatur+Memorial+Hospital+on+Tuesday%2C+October+16.+FCS+club+ran+a+competition+among+study+hall+classes+to+see+who+could+collect+the+most+boxes+of+24+crayons.++Mrs.+Rude%27s+study+hall+won+the+competition+this+year.+
Brighten a day. The FCS club delivers crayons to Decatur Memorial Hospital on Tuesday, October 16. FCS club ran a competition among study hall classes to see who could collect the most boxes of 24 crayons.  Mrs. Rude's study hall won the competition this year.

Brighten a day. The FCS club delivers crayons to Decatur Memorial Hospital on Tuesday, October 16. FCS club ran a competition among study hall classes to see who could collect the most boxes of 24 crayons. Mrs. Rude's study hall won the competition this year.

Katie Warnick

Katie Warnick

Karrigan True, Reporter

For over a decade, the FCS club has been holding an annual crayon drive. The MHS study hall classes compete against each other to see who can bring in more boxes of 24 crayons. In the end, the winning class receives a party. This is all fun, but the best part is when FCS delivers the crayon boxes to the pediatric patients at Decatur Memorial Hospital.

The boxes of crayons go to the pediatric department at the hospital. The goal is for as many children as possible to get one box to keep forever. “We try to bring in a lot so that each child gets to keep one,” said Katie Warnick, FCS club sponsor.

This FCS club activity is just one of many great ways for MHS students to feel good about what they do for the community.

“I like that we give high school students a way to help kids who are sick even if they can’t contact them personally,” said Warnick.

These crayons are a great way to make the kids happy while they are staying there at DMH. It helps to brighten not only the children’s day but also the FCS members. “Everything in FCS makes you feel like a good person,” said Tiffany Miller, FCS member.

When children are in the hospital, they can’t get up and run around. The pediatric department has a cabinet that is full of coloring sheets, crayons, movies, and more. “A lot of times staff will call up here and say ‘we have some kids down here, do you have anything we can entertain them with,'” said Joyce Highley, a nurse on the pediatric floor.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “A colorful surprise for pediatric patients”

1. Sydney Senger on October 22nd, 2018 8:24 am

I think it’s great to help children in hospitals.

2. Hannah Warnick on October 22nd, 2018 8:24 am

I think its great that FCS Club is able to help kids at the hospital. When kids are sick they can’t run around so giving crayons for coloring helps keep them busy.

3. Tiffany Miller on October 22nd, 2018 10:47 am

This was an amazing event and I am so happy that I was a part of it! I hope that FCS club continues to do this for many years because it truley makes an impact for the hospital and many pediatric patients.

4. Gabby Bingaman on October 22nd, 2018 10:47 am

I think that it is amazing that FCS is able to do this, but I think its more amazing that so many students and teachers brought in crayons to help out to! These crayons go to the kids on the DMH pediatric floor that can’t go outside and play but they also are gave to some siblings to help the parents out while they are up there!

5. Gabby Bingaman on October 22nd, 2018 10:48 am

What FCS was able to do was awesome, but I think its more amazing that so many students and teachers brought in crayons to help out to! These crayons go to the kids on the DMH pediatric floor that can’t go outside and play but they also are gave to some siblings to help the parents out while they are up there!

• A colorful surprise for pediatric patients

FFA is on its way

Students go to Journalism National Convention

Veterans, Meridian salutes You

Does your mother know drama auditions are approaching?

District-wide Veterans Day Program to be held at high school

Is it cool to ‘JUUL’ in school?

Journalism class starts ad sales unit

Teen Culture

SCREAM!!! haunted house

Showcase

New MHS boys track coach

Editorials

Senior szn