• Donate to the blood drive on Friday

• Kyler Kantor signs to Illinois College for football

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

SCREAM!!! haunted house

Scream%21+The+Scream+Haunted+House+staffs+itself+with+volunteers.+They+are+open+each+Friday+and+Saturday+from+7-11+PM.++All+funds+help+the+Decatur+Celebration.+

SCREAM!!! haunted house

Scream! The Scream Haunted House staffs itself with volunteers. They are open each Friday and Saturday from 7-11 PM.  All funds help the Decatur Celebration.

Scream! The Scream Haunted House staffs itself with volunteers. They are open each Friday and Saturday from 7-11 PM. All funds help the Decatur Celebration.

Candi Duncan

Candi Duncan

Candi Duncan

Candi Duncan, Reporter

Scream is a haunted house that takes place in the former Sears store at Hickory Point Mall in Decatur. Scream has been at this location since last year. Before that, they were located on Eldorado Street. Scream is a haunted house to help fundraise for the Decatur Celebration and is all volunteer based.

“I’ve been there between five and six years,” said Shawn Rumble, a volunteer at Scream.

Scream is hosted by Creatures of the Night partnered with the Decatur Celebration, the two main people are Gary Moore and Kay Swinehart. Swinehart has been running it for nine years and has been running it with Moore for six or seven years. This is year 11 of the haunted house being open.

“It is a lot of fun…Tiring at times, but in [the] long run very much worth it…Seeing my same and new volunteers and joy they get… then seeing the customers and hearing what scared them or when they might volunteer,” said Swinehart.

The number of people that went through the house last year was close to 6,000. Not a bad number when you consider they are only open two nights a week. And a single night average can depend but can come between 300 to 600 or 700.

Anyone can work there. If someone is 18 years or older, they can work without a parental consent. If a person is under 18, their parents have to sign the consent form and that person has to have an adult working in the same room as them.

“My room really only needs me and the drop window so I can work it by myself but someone under 18 would have to have someone else in there with them,” explained Rumble.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “SCREAM!!! haunted house”

1. Caidan Scott on October 22nd, 2018 8:27 am

I think that volunteering for something like this means that people care about what happens with the community. To me, that says something on its own.

2. colin heidemann on October 22nd, 2018 10:45 am

I went to the Scream last weekend and I loved everyone’s costumes. My favorite part was trying to squeeze through the small tunnel.

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Boy Scouts collect caps

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Meet Jerry Brockett, Meridian’s new agriculture teacher

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Scheduling fundamentals

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Feature

Music to our ears

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

School district eases transition after loss of teacher

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

WYSE under different leadership, new name, sectionals 2x

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Bible Literature: What’s really being taught

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Arts & Entertainment

Resident Evil 2, is it good?

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Journalists have sectionals too

• SCREAM!!! haunted house

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Hawks soarrrrrrrr past Cardinals

SCREAM!!! haunted house