Five week flu or life altering diagnosis

Mikayla Dahlkamp, Reporter

Caidan Alexander Scott, a 15 year old sophomore at Meridian High. A passionate reader, Kelley Armstrong being her favorite author, is dealing with more than most her age.  During seventh grade year, she was dealing with a disease.  “I had a five week flu that kept coming and going before we figured it out,” said Scott.

A little over a month later, in September of 2015, she was diagnosed with Celiac disease.  Scott is part of the 200,000 cases per year in the US that suffer from an immune reaction to eating gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye.

Receiving support from Mom (Laura) and grandma (Jo), Scott voiced, “My mom pushes me to do stuff and my dads mom has Celiac disease too, but she has it way worse than me.  She has to take a bunch of different medication and pushes through it.”

However, Scott never lets this part of her life hold her back.  Ms. Dunmire, an English teacher at Meridian High stated, “She’s a good participator and always has something valuable to add.”

Her plans for the future include, “to be somewhere steady, maybe have a family.”

Scott has no desire to slow down anytime soon, mom (Laura) adds, “Caidan is such a brave girl.  She remains to have a positive outlook on life and is very kind and sweet despite the daily challenges she faces…and there are so many!”