Friday slushie vibes

Slush! Ms. Hulva pours a student a mixed slushie on a Friday. Austin Rowcliff commented,

Drew Snow

Slush! Ms. Hulva pours a student a mixed slushie on a Friday. Austin Rowcliff commented, "The Friday slushies are the best thing to happen to the school lunch in a while."

Drew Snow, Reporter

There is a new machine in Meridian’s lunchroom. Since the return from Christmas break, students have had the luxury of getting a slushie on Friday’s menu in the spot of a fruit or vegetable.

The planning to actually get the slushie maker started around the first of December, with a goal to have it working by the return of students from Christmas break. Upon re-arrival, students noticed new posters and also the new addition of the machine to the lunch room.

As of the first full week back to school, students got the choice between either a blue, red, or as some prefer, a mix of both kinds of the slushie. Sophomore Jonathan Snowden mentioned, “The blue is really good. It is way more flavorable and sugary than the red.”

The juice that is added to make these delicious treats actually qualifies within government guidelines to be counted as a fruit or vegetable substitute. Principal Mr. Hurelbrink stated, “The plan going forward is going to be that if we feel like it’s something the students are really interested in, then we will probably try to increase the amount that we offer it.”

Junior Garrett Meisenhelter said, “I feel that the slushies were a good idea, and I feel that students like it more. It’s different, and it’s a lot better than fruits I think.”

Though there is excitement throughout the week during lunch as friends communicate and socialize with others, there is a good mood that is more powerful on Fridays than other weekdays. It is almost like a reward at the end of every week for students who purchase a slushie.

Meisenhelter and Snowden both hope that the slushies become a regular thing at Meridian and are served for years to come. As Mesinhelter added, “I think they should continue serving them, and students would appreciate it.”