Finsta leads to felony?

Double tap. Junior, Maggie Hale scrolls through her Instagram account to pass time during study hall, stopping to ‘like’ all of the photos that catch her attention. Hale uses her “Finsta” to post funny pictures, and she enjoys seeing similar photos posted by other account owners.

Emily Wilcox

Emily Wilcox

Emily Wilcox, Reporter

Instagram is a free, online sharing application and social media site created in 2012. Since then, it has become more and more popular, adding multiple new features and updates as time’s gone on. Users continue to find new purposes for Instagram, however, could some of those uses be illegal?

“Finstas”, or fake Instagram accounts, are created for users to post pictures that they normally wouldn’t post on their personal account. Multiple people use Finsta accounts to post memes, jokes, or funny photos that they don’t want taking up space on their more professional account.

Maggie Hale, junior, says she wanted to make a Finsta because she feels she is a funny and goofy person, so Finsta seemed to be right up her ally.

Other users, however, use their Finsta account to post content that is too vulgar for their personal account, such as nude photos, the use of illegal drugs, underage drinking, etc.

A concern of Mr. Hurelbrink, principal, is the potential danger the users could be getting themselves into. Many of these users, though, are students within our school.

“I wasn’t surprised, because I think it kind of falls in line with a lot of social media sites from the standpoint of there being a good, and a hidden side,” stated Hurelbrink.

People can’t help but wonder what the logic and/or thought process is behind the accounts, whether it is attention, or a bigger issue.

“It’s tough to say,” stated Hurelbrink, searching for words. “I would say part of it is probably attention, but I think part of it is to say ‘look what I’m doing without getting caught’.”

Unfortunately, not only could this type of content affect how other students with social media look at Meridian as a whole, it could affect the user’s own life in the future. Between reputation itself, and employers checking the social media of potential employees, posting this content could backfire on the users.

Detective Todd R. Koester of the Decatur Police Department says a good portion of his job is spent working cases that involve sexting, child pornography, and the like.

“It is not only illegal to possess child pornography, but it is illegal to produce, possess, and/or distribute child pornography,” stated Koester. “Therefore, a juvenile who takes nude photographs of themselves has committed the offense of production of child pornography. It is a crime to then send it to other people and/or post it on social media.”

With that being said, Finsta accounts containing nude photography are not only frowned upon, they are also illegal.

These are not the only type of pictures that are being released to the internet. Photos containing illegal activities are being posted as well.

“It’s more of a shock factor, like ‘okay I’m going to put this out there and see who reacts to it’.” said Hurlebrink.

Koester mentioned that the authorities will more than likely not arrest for such photos, but the circumstances may cause arrest.

“It should be noted that the Macon County State’s Attorney Office and the Decatur Police Department are not seeking to ruin a juvenile’s life if they do commit these crimes. We are seeking to educate the juveniles in our area to understand the possible repercussions if these crimes are committed,” said Koester. “But we have arrested and prosecuted juveniles in the past for these crimes if they are repeat offenders or the circumstances of the case rise to the necessity of an arrest.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Finsta leads to felony?”

1. Brian Reed on December 1st, 2017 11:28 am

I do feel that people should not have fake accounts, not only because they’re illegal, but because if you feel what you’re posting is too shameful to be put on your own account, then you shouldn’t be doing it anyway. Also if you’re wanting to post something funny, just do it on your own account.

[Reply]

• Finsta leads to felony?

Editorials

Free speech or public indecency? Where do your rights end?

• Finsta leads to felony?

Students say goodbye to beloved teacher, Ms. Brown

• Finsta leads to felony?

MHS blood drive

• Finsta leads to felony?

Love for teaching and each other

• Finsta leads to felony?

Editorials

What up wit dat??? -Eligibility policy

• Finsta leads to felony?

How the State Budget Impasse could seriously affect Meridian

• Finsta leads to felony?

Seniors’ last day

• Finsta leads to felony?

Graduating class of 2017

• Finsta leads to felony?

One shot at forever visit

• Finsta leads to felony?

Meridian girls accepted into Youth Leadership Institute

Finsta leads to felony?