Hats off for seniors

Ohana!

Ohana! "Ohana means family, family pays for college," says Kendra Merris's graduation cap. "I used sticker letters, fabric paint, and nail glue to make my cap, the nail glue got all over my fingers."

Kendra Merris

Kendra Merris

Kendra Merris, Reporter

With graduation coming up on May 21, some members of the class of 2017 have started to decorate their senior graduation caps, that they received May 4.

Marissa Oliver, senior, stated, “I already finished my cap actually. It has Mickey Mouse doing peace signs and it says “from HAWK to REDBIRD, 2017″. I did it all myself, but my mom helped me pick out the supplies.”

With so many things going on at the end of the year some don’t feel the need to decorate their caps while others enjoy having that last little art project to express themselves before they go on.

Senior Drew Newberry says, “Finding out what I wanted to do was the worst thing. I looked on Pinterest for some ideas, but in the end, it came down to two different ones. I finally picked out the one I wanted with the help of Kendra Merris and Gage Wiseman. The hardest part of mine is figuring out how I want to put my pictures on it, I literally wanted to shoot myself while doing it.”

There are tons of ideas out there for caps; funny and inspirational are the usual ones you see.

Oliver said, “I looked through a lot of Pinterest posts first for inspiration. Then I sketched out several ideas, before finally deciding on my final design.”

Most students went to Hobby Lobby to find the items they needed to design their caps. Others used things that they already had at home.

“I drew a stitch for Kendra Merris’s graduation cap. I am excited to be able to see something I’ve drawn be put onto someone’s graduation cap. I have always loved looking at the different and creative designs on people’s caps and to now be able to see something I’ve drawn on one is an interesting and exciting experience,” said junior, Marley Doering.

Good luck to those seniors still working on their caps.