It’s geocaching, not catching

Found it! Sophomore Sydney Moore finding a hidden geocache after a long search.

Found it! Sophomore Sydney Moore finding a hidden geocache after a long search. "Geocaching is so much fun, the suspense of maybe finding a cache or maybe being disappointed is one of my favorite things. My favorite caches are the ones that have stories behind them and with fun clues. I would recommend everyone try it," says Moore.

Sophie Fiebig

Sophie Fiebig

Sophie Fiebig, Reporter

Geocaching has been rising in popularity for the past few years. It can interest people of all ages, even making the ones that normally like to stay inside their own four walls, transform to nature lovers and explorers. 

Geocaching is a recreational activity that includes hunting and finding a hidden object by following coordinates provided by a website specifically designed to track registered caches. The caches come in a variety of shapes and sizes but are mostly little containers enclosing a logbook to enter your name and the date you found the cache. The reason geocaching is so widely popular with crowds of all ages is that you never know what to expect. A geocache could be anything from a fake bird to an old camera roll tube.

“I think anything that gets people outside exploring the natural world is a good thing, and I like the idea better than Pokemon Go! It also gets people to realize how GPS devices use latitude and longitude to pinpoint locations,” says English teacher Mr. Rude.

The website and app (https://www.geocaching.com/play) give you locations for caches in your area. When closer to the cache, the app will show you a compass and tell you how many feet until you reach the vague area of the cache. “The only struggle is being close to it but having to search the general area in which it may or may not be located,” says junior Karena Ozier. The app’s directions give you a vague idea of where the cache is and can be off by 30 ft. 

But the real fun comes from a whole other part of geocaching. Normally people will leave behind a little souvenir inside the container along with the log book. The next person finding the cache will take the item and replace it with another personal possession, and the cycle keeps going on and on. I like the thrill of finding out what is in the container,” Ozier adds, “I have done it four times and love it!” 

Sadly the possibility for a cache in areas with little geocachers isn’t high. I think the most frustrating part about geocaching can be that often times the caches don’t get updated on the app. When you go out to find a cache, there is always the possibility that it is already gone. Maybe someone took it or it simply got lost, but it is unpleasant either way.

But even if no cache can be found, it will still be a lot of fun. 

One time a friend and I spent more than one and a half hours in a park looking for geocaches. The app showed us that there were five caches in that area, but we didn’t manage to find any of them. For some reason we looked in every bird house there was, hoping to find one inside. The next day we went out again and found a bunch of them all around the Decatur area. It was so much fun.

Ozier states, ”One time I went geocaching, I was with [my boyfriend]. We walked down my street to a nearby creek where the app I had, said that the geocache was right in front of us. I couldn’t find it so we decided to leave, but as we were getting ready to leave, I turned back and saw it laying right in front of me in plain sight. After we opened it up, it started to downpour rain and so we had to run back to my house.”

All in all, geocaching gives you the opportunity to discover the area you live in and get a new view on the familiar surroundings you see every day, all while being outside and enjoying your time. There is even a hidden geocache on Meridian’s school grounds, so get involved and join the largest treasure hunt.