Pack the place packs plenty of excitement

Jacob Jones pulls up for the mid-range jumper to get the Hawks back into the game late in the fourth quarter.

Haley Grimes

Haley Grimes

Haley Grimes

Tyler Ward, Reporter

Fresh off a win against the Pana Panthers on Tuesday, January 8, The Meridian Hawks Varsity Boys Basketball team took on the St. Teresa Bulldogs in the annual Pack the Place game, Friday, January 11 at the Hawks home court. All games were moved up due to the impending snow storm.

The night began with the return of our mascot, in new and improved fashion.

The St. Teresa Bulldogs came into the game with a record of 5-8 and the Hawks were 15-5 coming into the game. The Bulldogs had just came off of a win against the Argenta-Oreana Bombers.

Meridian Hawks own entrepreneurship class, Impressive Designs made “pack the place” t-shirts for the big conference game. The shirts were all sold out before Friday’s game.

The Hawks held a high school pep-rally prior to the game.

Brogan Barnes [Senior Forward] said, “The coaching staff is mostly preparing us for defense because they [St. Teresa] are a lot bigger than we are, [we need to] get prepared to box out and make sure we help off the screens. We need to get our offense rolling early.”

The Bulldogs started off with getting a lot of inside shots and shooting a very high percentage from the field. The Hawks were shooting a lot of threes to start the game. The Hawks made most of their shots to start the game off. The Bulldogs battled back with a lot of offensive rebounds and second-chance points.

The second half was all about defense and rebounds for the Hawks. The Bulldogs zoned up to let the Hawks shoot more threes and not get to the basket so easily.

The Hawks took good care of the ball and valued their possession but still was not executing on the defensive end. In the final three minutes, the Bulldogs got a lot of uncontested layups and started holding the ball so the Hawks would have to foul. The Hawks forced a lot of contested shots and missed so the Bulldogs began going to the free throw line.

The Hawks were defeated  59-57, but not before Garrett Meisenhelter scored his 1,000th high school career point.

After the game, varsity head coach Jay Driscoll said, “Lack of execution and game leakage lost us that game.”

The Hawks are now 15-6 and 0-2 in the conference. The Bulldogs are now 6-8 in the season.