Meridian boys baseball senior night

Game on! The senior class of Meridian plays in one of their final games of the season. Jake Ripple has high hopes stating,

Game on! The senior class of Meridian plays in one of their final games of the season. Jake Ripple has high hopes stating, "I want to finish strong and win some games."

Janet Hurelbrink

Janet Hurelbrink

Drew Snow, Reporter

On May 8 the Meridian baseball team hosted their senior night, taking on Cerro Gordo, to showcase the seniors who will take the next step in their life.

If you come to Hawk baseball games regularly, you would have noticed the position changes made on the field. The normal starters were asked to sit out while all the seniors got to start in a varsity game. Making it even more sentimental for the players, it was the first time that some of them had started in a varsity game this year.

Head team captain and four-year member Jacob Ripple mentioned, “Bittersweet, I have enjoyed high school baseball and it’s going to be sad to play one last game in a Hawk uniform.”

The game started off rather slow with neither teams scoring until the fifth inning, but when the Hawks were able to get going, they couldn’t be stopped. Ripple was the starting pitcher of the game and only gave up one unearned run while on the mound. To close it out came Connor Hurelbrink who held them to that one run with his consistency of curveballs.

The game closed out with the Hawks on top 9-1. Senior Ben Parks summed the game up stating, “I thought we did really well considering that some of the seniors still play JV, they improved and we looked in unison that night.”

It was all smiles after the games and much excitement after the two teams came together to shake hands. Head coach Rick Scrimpsher gave the team his end of the game speech and constructive criticism as they still had three more games scheduled for their season before regional play.

As all the seniors know, they are playing their last ever games for Meridian. Parks said, “Honestly I’m scared, I want to play more and I really don’t want to leave.” Ripple is also sad to be leaving behind his Meridian jersey but is continuing on to play baseball for four more years at a higher level in college.

Scrimpsher said, “It was a good turn out for the seniors and the team as a whole, I am happy to have coached them and hope we can finish our season off strong.”

The team will enter their regional play when they visit the A&M Raiders on May 14 for the third time this season.