Hawks football makes uniform change

With the upcoming season, the Meridian Hawks football team will take on a new look. The helmets have been repainted and also new jerseys have been ordered. Garrett Meisenhelter said,

With the upcoming season, the Meridian Hawks football team will take on a new look. The helmets have been repainted and also new jerseys have been ordered. Garrett Meisenhelter said, "The new jerseys and black helmets are sweet and will look good on the field."

Drew Snow

Drew Snow

Drew SNow, Reporter

To start off the Meridian Hawks 2018-2019 school year, the football team will come out with a new home team look through the purchase of new attire.

The Hawks have decided to take on the black look for their home games. After this season, the talk of new jerseys was in the air, and as usual, helmets were sent in to be refurbished but returned with a brand new matte black finish. The jerseys are expected to arrive in the first two weeks of May before school gets out.

Head football coach Mr. Sheppard stated, “We are trying to change the culture and part of that is taking on a new look and making a total transformation into what we want to be.” Sheppard led the program to their first win in over two years and is planning on continuing to build up the program and leading the team to success.

After talking to some of next years players, it is clear they are already thrilled to get into the new look and take the field. “Everyone has to be ALL IN for us to succeed in all areas of the game,” said Sheppard.

Black is seeming to become a popular sports color at Meridian, and for the most part, students and participants of these sports seem to like the looks they put off. Junior Erin Fasick says,”I think the black uniforms look cool and a lot better than the older versions.”

After a 1-8 season last year, there is a lot for the team to gain. They will get to start the season off showing off their new look at home against LSA hoping and fighting to make their first game their first dub (win).

Junior Case Jaukkuri stated, “I hope we can come out and beat them because I feel that we are the better team, we just need to play hard and stay focused.” Jaukkuri is going to be entering his second and last year of Meridian football and wants to go out on a good note with high hopes for the season.