Record set

Bang! Korey Damery finishing his leg in the 4x200 meter relay. Marshall Brown will finish off the race, giving the Hawks second place and the school record.

Bang! Korey Damery finishing his leg in the 4x200 meter relay. Marshall Brown will finish off the race, giving the Hawks second place and the school record. "My goal by the end of the year is to go to state and place in the top eighth," says Damery.

Allison Butler

Allison Butler

Cameron Getz, Reporter

On Tuesday, April 24 at Maroa-Forsyth high school, the boys track and field team went to compete at the Macon County track meet.

The meet started off well for the Hawks when they took second in the 4×100 meter relay, where their team consisted of Nate Durbin, Cameron Getz, Korey Damery, and Marshall Brown. This team owns the school record, which they set earlier this year, but Warrensburg-Latham just edged the win over the Hawks by a few steps.

Nate Durbin stated, “I feel like we had a great race. Our handoffs were perfect, but we just weren’t able to pull out the win in the end.”

The 4×200 meter relay is the Hawk’s best race this year, which consists of the same four runners as the 4×100. They have set the school record two times before this meet. The best time they have run this year was a 1:32.33, which is a lot faster than the state qualifying time. The Hawks were ranked first in the County meet, but once again Warrensburg just beat them by a few tenths of a second. For the third time this year, they beat their own record, running a 1:31.77. With that time, it will definitely put them in the top three in the state, which puts them as contenders for a state title.

Korey Damery said, “It’s crazy that we are running this fast of times. I’m excited to go to sectionals and hopefully make it to state, and maybe even place while we are there.”

This relay team was also supposed to run the 4×400 meter relay, but there was a minor set back when Marshall Brown pulled his hamstring while finishing the 4×200 meter relay. Cameron Getz also won the high jump with a jump of 6’6″, which ranks him second in the state.

Marshall Brown inferred, “Even though we didn’t get to finish off the meet with the 4×400, we still had two great races throughout the meet.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Record set”

1. Goog on May 5th, 2018 10:08 am

Nice job of writing, and nice job of running and jumping Cam !

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Hawks win first game of season

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Another record in the books

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Hawks football makes uniform change

• Record set

Editorials

America’s pastime

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Multi-sport studs

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

NBA off-season/playoff preview

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Softball season preview

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Boys basketball senior night

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

New season, new coach

• Record set

Featured Sports Story Carousel

The senior triad

Record set