America’s pastime

America’s pastime

Baseball is family. Everyone has a reason for why they play. Everyone gets something from the game. Baseball is America's pastime.

Baseball is family. Everyone has a reason for why they play. Everyone gets something from the game. Baseball is America's pastime. "It's like an escape from reality," says senior Timmy Strisko.

Connor Hurelbrink

Connor Hurelbrink

Connor Hurelbrink

On March 29, all across the nation, gates were opened, hot dogs were consumed, and Major League Baseball finally returned. After a long off-season and spring training, the regular season is off with a hit. High schools have been playing for a few weeks now, but why do they play?

Not many know what it’s like to step up to the plate to bat or to snag a fly ball, senior player, Timmy Strisko, explains. Explaining what he does to prepare, he says, “Usually I listen to music, but sometimes I find somewhere silent and give myself a pep talk.”

Each player has a different story of how they got involved in the sport. “My dad snuck me into t-ball league early when I was four,” says Strisko. Coach Ponce Palmer shared that he got involved with baseball in the fifth grade and says, “It’s fun because I love the game and being around it.”

The game means something different to each player. “I love helping youth become great young men. My goal is to keep them interested in sports, make them great, and make memories,” says Palmer. There is a more personal meaning for Strisko. “Baseball is the closest thing I can get to being with my mom. She made every one of my games growing up, and ever since she’s passed, it’s been hard to play, but I can feel her watching, and it’s a comforting feeling.”

Before players get to the majors, they start in little league, rec leagues, and high school leagues, and each player has a reason for taking the field. “It’s like an escape from reality,” says Strisko.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does.” -Nelson Mandela.

1 Comment

One Response to “America’s pastime”

1. Hunter Foulks on October 22nd, 2018 1:06 pm

Baseball is a great sport. Reading this reminds me why I love the game. Just the team bonding and knowing that you work as one.

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Over load of excitement in Overlord

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Meridian annual blood drive

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Senior szn

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Rome to Athens

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Brackets busted

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Irish feast day or American drinking game?

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Why should you be involved in your local government?

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Mock Draft

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Valentine’s Day or Lupercalia?

• America’s pastime

Editorials

Coping with deployment

America’s pastime