Brackets busted

Busted. March Madness is always full of busted brackets and busted hearts. Everyone is so excited at the beginning of the tournament to see how well their bracket is doing, until they start getting every game wrong.

Cameron Getz

Cameron Getz

Cameron Getz, Reporter

If you made a bracket for the 2018 men’s NCAA basketball tournament, then I am going to guess that you aren’t too happy about it.

There have been many upsets in this year’s tournament. History was made in the first round of the bracket when the 16 seed UMBC beat the 1 seed, Virginia.  This was the first time a 16 seed has ever beat a 1 seed in the tournament history. Many people had Virginia winning the National Championship, which would have busted their bracket.

The biggest story of the tournament is the 11 seed Loyola-Chicago. The Ramblers have a total of six tournament appearances. They now have the best win percentage of any other team in NCAA tournament history. They have a 13-4 record, with a win percentage of .765. Loyola is in the final four for the first time since 1963. They also won the national championship that year.

Not very many people predicted the Ramblers or any of the other three teams to be this far in their bracket. Out of 17.4 million of the brackets that were filled out in the ESPN tournament challenge, only 550 brackets had the correct teams chosen.

It’s going to be a crazy final four in San Antonio Texas at the Alamodome on March 31. The first game will be at 5:09, with the matchup being the underdog Loyola-Chicago vs. Michigan. The second game will be the two number 1 seeds, Villanova vs. Kansas.

Make sure you cheer for your home state and support Loyola-Chicago as they have their second final four ever. If they win their final four game, they will have a chance to take back a victory they haven’t had since 1963 and be national champions.