Baseball uniforms go for change

Blacked+out%21+The+new+boys+baseball+jerseys+have+arrived.+Senior+Ben+Parks+said%2C%22+I+find+them+durable+and+reliable+and+they+are+great+jerseys+for+the+future+of+Meridian+baseball.%22+
Blacked out! The new boys baseball jerseys have arrived. Senior Ben Parks said,

Blacked out! The new boys baseball jerseys have arrived. Senior Ben Parks said," I find them durable and reliable and they are great jerseys for the future of Meridian baseball."

Drew Snow

Drew Snow

Drew Snow, Reporter

On March 31, the boy’s baseball team played in Nokomis through rough conditions while showing off their new uniforms.

The uniforms were ordered back in November and were just received and passed out days before the third playable game of the season. Upon a team vote, all black was decided. Almost all members had to make a quick purchase of pants as white had always been the chosen color.

Junior Garrett Meisenhelter stated, “I didn’t think the black on black would work as well as it did, but I think it turned out really good.” The team had to start their season with the older green Meridian jerseys to cover while the new merchandise arrived.”

The original idea for the season was to start off with a new attitude and look to match it. Head baseball coach Rick Scrimpsher added, “I never got a full story on why they were so late.”

The team was excited and ready to see how the uniforms would look. When the day finally came, it came with a freezing twist, new uniforms, strong gusts of wind, cold, and the cherry on top– rain. The boys got to battle the weather until the conditions got too bad and the game was called in the fifth inning.

Junior Austin Rowcliff mentioned jokingly, “It was a good game though the conditions could have been better today and every other game.” The Saturday game was even supposed to be a doubleheader to give either team some more playing time.

Out of the 11 games so far to be played on the schedule, only two and five innings of another have been played due to the weather. It is still early in the season, however, and with a 32 game roster, the weather should start looking up for this year’s team.

Come out and support your Hawks and see the transformation of this team for yourself!