Softball season preview

Take+me+out+to+the+ball+game%21+Meridian+High+School%27s+softball+team+will+kick+off+their+season+Monday%2C+March+18.+%22The+team+has+been+practicing+for+a+few+weeks+now+and+we+are+ready+to+play%2C%22+Rylie+Casey+said.+
Take me out to the ball game! Meridian High School's softball team will kick off their season Monday, March 18.

Take me out to the ball game! Meridian High School's softball team will kick off their season Monday, March 18. "The team has been practicing for a few weeks now and we are ready to play," Rylie Casey said.

Emma Jackson

Emma Jackson

Emma Jackson, Reporter

The Meridian girls softball team kicks off their season Monday, March 18. The team is experiencing major changes this year due to the loss of two key seniors last year, and the class being moved down to 1A.

Monday, the softball team will play their first game against Pana. This year the team has no seniors, although, it is loaded with returning juniors. Most of the time, this would worry a coach, but not this head coach, Greg Streeval. He is confident in what the juniors have to bring to the plate. Streeval is also excited about the talent of the underclassmen, which are the majority of the team. With no seniors, that leaves it up to the juniors to step up and lead the team.

“I hope a lot of people lead the team this year. We are counting on our all-conference player, Kaelee, coming back from last year,” Streeval says.

Kaelee Stockton, a returning junior, is expected to be a leader this year. This is her sixth season playing for Streeval. Stockton plays softball because she enjoys the sport, and loves her teammates. She plans to play in college. Her goals for this season are to be a leader and win at least 25 games. Stockton is preparing for what she thinks will be their toughest games: Williamsville and St. Joseph.

“I plan to step up, take responsibility, and keep a positive attitude this year,” Stockton states.

A majority of the underclassmen this year are freshmen. This being their first year of high school softball, they had a lot of changes coming their way. As Streeval would say, “This is big girl softball,” and they had to step it up. Ellen Jackson, a freshman, spoke for all the freshmen when she said that they are most nervous about playing with the older girls. She also said that the upperclassman she looks up to the most is Rylie Casey, junior. Casey, starting pitcher, is, “a really good player and teammate.” She is another expected leader.

“Ground balls are harder, pop flies are higher. It’s a really big adjustment, but I think we are all handling it well,” Jackson says.

At the end of the day, Streeval has one goal: making it to state. After 20 years of coaching at Meridian High School, he has never taken a team to state. He says that he is, “happy about the team being moved down to 1A,” because he says, “It will give us a better chance to compete.”

“My favorite part about softball season is being with the team, I enjoy being around the kids, they keep me young,” Streeval said.