The senior triad

Bang! This years first track meet is on Wednesday, March 7 at Mt. Zion.
Nate Durbin, senior track athlete, states,

Bang! This years first track meet is on Wednesday, March 7 at Mt. Zion. Nate Durbin, senior track athlete, states, "My goals for this season is to get a school record and make it to state."

Cameron Getz

Cameron Getz

Cameron Getz, Reporter

This season, the boy’s track and field team kicks off on Wednesday, March 7 at the Mt. Zion indoor meet.

This year’s team is led by a trio of seniors with state experience: Nate Durbin, Marshall Brown, and Cameron Getz. This year, all three of them are looking to have a great senior season, and go to state in multiple events.

Last year, only two of them qualified for state: Nate Durbin in the 800-meter run, and Cameron Getz in the high jump. The 4×200 meter relay and the 4×400 meter relay teams both missed by a tenth of a second. Those two relay teams consisted of the three senior leaders, who were juniors at the time, and a freshman who is now a sophomore, Korey Damery. Those four are looking to have a breakout season in both of those relay races because of last year’s experience.

Durbin didn’t have the best experience in the state meet last year during his 800 meter run. After about 300 meters into the race, he got a little too close to the inside of the track and stepped on a rail, causing him to fall down and finish last. Durbin isn’t running the 800m run this year so he can focus on both of the relay races and go to state in those.

Durbin stated, “I feel like we definitely could have gone to state in both of the relays last year, but the 800 really affected the 4×200 race, and I felt like we should focus on the relays and get more people on the team to go to state, and hopefully place.”

Brown had a devastating end to his junior track season last year. He went to state his sophomore year in the 4×400 meter relay and placed 8th. At sectionals last year, he barely missed state qualifying times in four events.

Brown said, “My goals are to set more records and to go to state this year.”

Getz had a well-rounded season last year. He was ranked in the top 5 in the high jump the whole season and was even ranked first at one point.

Getz got his personal record last season with a mark of 6’8″. He made it to state and placed 6th, earning a medal.

Getz inferred, “I felt last season went very well, but I still felt like I should have done better at state. My goal is to place top three in state this year in the high jump.”