Swinging into new season with changes

Hey batter batter swing! Meridian softball season started February 26, and the team was moved down from Class 2A to Class 1A this season. Due to the changes in ranking, the Meridian coaches and players will work toward their goal of making it to state.

Hey batter batter swing! Meridian softball season started February 26, and the team was moved down from Class 2A to Class 1A this season. Due to the changes in ranking, the Meridian coaches and players will work toward their goal of making it to state. "I see the season going very well. We have a lot of varsity starters coming back and we should be able to go far," said Peyton Latham.

Alexis Rosenberger

Alexis Rosenberger

Alexis Rosenberger, Reporter

This season, Meridian’s softball team has been moved from Class 2A ranking down to Class 1A, due to the student enrollment numbers dropping. This will put Meridian as one of the largest schools in 1A compared to, in previous years, being one of the smallest in 2A.

Head coach, Greg Streeval, said, “Make no mistake, there are some very good 1A softball teams, and we will have to work hard to accomplish our goals.”

One of Meridian’s pitchers, Peyton Latham, has the overall goal of  “playing together as a team throughout the season.” She has a personal goal of being a leader, in hopes to “push the team and get to state.” This season will be Streeval’s 20th year of coaching Meridian softball, and he has the same goal for his teams every year… going to state.

“I see the season going very well. We have a lot of varsity starters coming back and we should be able to go far,” said Latham.

This year’s team is expected to be young, but according to Streeval, seven starters will be returning from last year. He feels the team “can be as good as anyone if we stay healthy.” Stockton doesn’t think having a young team is bad because they will end up having “the exact same team this year as we will next year.” 

Meridian High School’s softball team has won regionals back to back seasons (2015 and 2016). According to center fielder, Kaelee Stockton, she sees “the team going past regionals this year and maybe past sectionals, since we are 1A now.”

“We are very diverse with a mix of all classes. I am class blind, meaning I play the best nine players no matter what grade,” said Streeval.

Meridian had a sophomore move in from LSA this year because LSA doesn’t have a softball team, and she is expected to contribute in a big way according to Meridian’s coach. The team also has a returning sophomore that verbally committed to the University of Illinois this past month. There are three weeks before Meridian softball plays their first game on Monday, March 19 in Pana, and Stockton, a junior, plans for a “successful season.”

“We will work hard until the 19th and take advantage of all the practice time we can get, to gel [work] as a team,” said Streeval.