Kick it: Taylor to play soccer, Montana

Senior Gabe Taylor signed with Rocky Mountain College on Friday February 9. Taylor will play soccer there, and is looking forward to being able to spend more time with his brother.

Senior Gabe Taylor signed with Rocky Mountain College on Friday February 9. Taylor will play soccer there, and is looking forward to being able to spend more time with his brother. "I picked Rocky Mountain College because I wanted to see what else was out there (outside of Illinois)," stated Taylor.

Connor Hurelbrink

Connor Hurelbrink

Connor Hurelbrink, Executive Producer

Senior Gabe Taylor signed his letter of intent to play soccer at Rocky Mountain College on February 9, 2018.

Taylor recently made the final decision as to which college he wanted to attend next fall. He started this year with absolutely no college in mind, then decided to attend Hawaii Pacific University. From there, he transitioned to two colleges: Rocky Mountain College and Montana State University Billings. Taylor, who will be playing soccer in college, wanted to surprise everyone and not reveal where he was going until signing day. “I just thought that it would be a different way of doing it, also I like to keep people guessing,” said Taylor.

Taylor finally chose Rocky Mountain College. He will attend and play soccer there next fall. “I picked Rocky Mountain College because I wanted to see what else was out there (outside of Illinois). I liked Rocky Mountain College better because it was a smaller school, only about 1,000 students.”

Taylor’s brother, Caleb, lives in Montana, which is a big part of why Taylor is going so far away from home for college. “My brother and I have always been close, and when he moved during my freshman year, I knew I wanted to follow his path,” Taylor stated.

Taylor’s mother, Marie Jagger-Taylor, said, “[he wanted to wait to tell people] because he’s Gabe, that is just his personality.” Nowadays, many athletes make a big deal about where they will be attending college, the whole ‘pick the hat of the school you will be attending’ type hype.

“We appreciate the support from the community and are very proud of his accomplishments, we are looking forward to what he will accomplish in the future,” stated Jagger-Taylor.

Principal Eric Hurelbrink stated, “Gabe is a great kid, I am really proud of the leader he has become over the past four years here. I know that he will do great things at the next level.”

Senior teammate Nick Johnson said, “If anyone [from the soccer team] was going to go to the next level to play soccer, it would be Gabe.” Taylor had a total of 16 goals this season, and 20 last season. He also amassed the most assists in both of those years as well.