Hawks fall short in championship game

Whack! Garrett Meisenhelter goes up for a floater while getting hit in the back of the head.

Clay Jackson

Whack! Garrett Meisenhelter goes up for a floater while getting hit in the back of the head. "I feel we played really well in the championship game, but we just weren't able to finish in the end."

Cameron Getz, Reporter

On Friday, February 2, the Meridian Hawks boys basketball team played in the CIC championship game.

The Hawks came into the tournament as the 5 seed in the bracket. They had to play the 3 seed, Central A & M to advance to the semi-final. The Hawks were down by 11 entering the second half of the game, but came out firing and won the game 74-64. Four of the five starters for the Hawks scored in double digits with Cameron Getz as the leading scorer with 23 points.

Nate Durbin, a senior guard said, “The first half was a little rough, but we made a game plan at halftime, and we were able to pull out the win.”

The Hawks then had to play the 8 seed, Tuscola, who upset the first seed, Shelbyville. The Hawks had some trouble late game against the Warriors and were down by one with just under a minute to go. Garrett Meisenhelter, a junior guard for the Hawks, drove in and threw up an acrobatic floater to put the Hawks up by one. Tuscola had one more chance at the end of the game, but when they tried to inbound the ball, Getz stole the ball and scored a layup to seal the win for the Hawks, and send them to the championship game.

Meisenhelter stated, “We were surprised when we saw that Tuscola beat Shelbyville so we did not want to overlook them, and I was glad when we were able to get the win and go to the championship game.”

St. Teresa was the next stop for the Hawks in the championship. This would be the third time the Hawks would play the Bulldogs this year. The last time these two teams met, it was a back and forth battle the whole game until a last-second shot by the Bulldogs in overtime won the game resulting in a heartbreaking loss for the Hawks.

The Hawks started off the game strong ending the first half leading the game 35-29. Getz and Meisenhelter were on fire in the first half with a combined 27 points of the teams 35. The Hawks had the lead going into the fourth quarter 50-47. St. Teresa went on a run at the end of the game and the Hawks were down by 6 with 23 seconds to go. Getz dribbled up the floor and drilled a 3 point shot from the volleyball line to put them down by 3. St. Teresa then hit 1 free throw to put them up by 4. Getz again dribbled up the court and pulled up from even deeper to hit another three and put the Hawks down by 1. St. Teresa then made 2 more free throws with 2.2 seconds left on the clock to put them up by 3. The Hawks got one more chance for a miracle shot, but Getz shot just short and the Bulldogs won the CIC championship.

Connor Hurelbrink, a senior center said, “I was really proud of the way we played this whole tournament, and I think we really proved to people how good this team can really be, but it’s upsetting that we weren’t able to win the championship game.”