Hail the Koreas

Hail the Koreas

Agreement? North and South Korea have come together to compete in the 2018 Olympics that will take place in February. Is North Korea trying to get inside information from South Korea?

Agreement? North and South Korea have come together to compete in the 2018 Olympics that will take place in February. Is North Korea trying to get inside information from South Korea? "This has the potential for a larger escalation," remarks Mrs. McKinney.

By Original author: Pierre de Coubertin (1863-1937) (Manual reconstruction by Denelson83) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Brock Durbin, Reporter

Could this be an end of a 68-year-old conflict? On Wednesday, January 16, 2018, North Korea and South Korea put aside their feud to march under a unified flag in the 2018 Olympics. They will even have a joint women’s ice hockey team competing in the games. The two countries haven’t competed against each other since 1991, when they competed in a youth soccer tournament and a table-tennis championship.

Kim Jong-un, communist leader of North Korea, and Moon Jae-in, democratic leader of South Korea, put their tensions aside to join together in the PyeongChang 2018 Olympics. Knowing their history and hatred for each other, will either country make a move that will destroy what little friendship they have? History teacher Mr. Kershner states, “I think they will just compete. I think it will be an ordinary Olympics.”

Librarian and history teacher, Ms. McKinney, adds, “I think Kim Jong-un honestly wants to be seen at the Olympics as a world leader sitting amongst the other world leaders. It will give him legitimacy. I don’t think he will jeopardize that goal. I think the Olympics will go smoothly.”

If nothing escalates between North and South Korea, will the U.S. and Korea disagree? Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un have a long and interesting history in Trump’s short presidency. “North Korea not only has nuclear weapons, but they have the means to hit the US with them,” asserts Ms. McKinney.” Mr. Kershner says he believes, “President Trump has been thinking about ‘blooding the nose’ of North Korea, which would look like a targeted US militarily attack of North Korea.” He goes on to say, “North Korea is thinking about their own survival. I think their leader is dangerous,  but he puts his own life first.”

After the Olympics, will North and South Korea continue this “treaty”? Only time will tell if this is two leaders coming together for a one-time thing or for an extended period of time. Are they paving a way for a new future? “Kim Jong-Un’s primary goal is to stay in power as dictator of North Korea. South Korea would like to remain a democracy and a capitalist economy,” remarks Ms. McKinney.

“South Korea is worried this will happen when they reunify. South Korea will be left feeding with millions of starving North Koreans, rebuilding the roads, hospitals, schools, etc. in North Korea, and teaching North Koreans how to survive in a capitalist democracy.” Mr. Kershner adds, “I think their feud goes back too far and that tension between the two nations will continue.”

Only time will tell what happens in the Olympics. Tune in on February 9 to 25 for the games to see what unfolds.