Hawks improve in Macon County tournament

Splash. Meridian's Garret Meisenhelter scores 13 points in the semi-final game against St. Teresa.
Nate Durbin stated,

Splash. Meridian's Garret Meisenhelter scores 13 points in the semi-final game against St. Teresa. Nate Durbin stated, "Garret played a really good game against St. T., but we did not play good enough on both ends of the floor to beat them, but I am pleased with the improvement from last year and getting the third place trophy."

Clay Jackson

Clay Jackson

Cameron Getz, Reporter

On Friday, December 8, the Meridian Hawks Boys Basketball team won the third place trophy in the Macon County tournament, which was hosted at Cerro Gordo High School.

The Hawks were seeded fourth out of eight teams in the bracket for the tournament. The first challenge of the tournament was the Bombers from Argenta-Oreana. The Hawks started out the tournament strong, beating Argenta 82-63 in the first round.

Garret Meisenhelter led the team with 24 points, followed by Connor Hurelbrink, who recorded a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Hurelbrink stated, “It felt good to be a part of a big win, and it felt even better contributing to the team that much.”

The Hawks then had to face St. Teresa in the second round, which was seeded first in the tournament. The Hawks fell to the Bulldogs 64-48, and that took them out of the championship game to push them to the third-place game. Nate Durbin, a senior guard on the team said, “I feel like we played hard throughout the whole game, but in the end, our shots weren’t falling the way we wanted to, and St. T is one of the best opponents we will play all year.”

The Hawks now have to face Warrensburg for the third-place game. The team was looking for some redemption from the previous season when they played the Cardinals in the regional game last year and lost the game 52-49 in a late-game back and forth battle.

The score was back and forth the whole game. The Hawks were down by 2 with 56 seconds left, and Meisenhelter made a clutch three-pointer to put them up 47-46.  The game came down to free throws by the Hawks to put them up by 4 points and seal the deal. Garret Meisenhelter, a junior guard, stated, “It felt good to get third, and it was an improvement in the tournament from last year. It felt really good beating Warrensburg in the third-place game, especially with how our last game ended against them last year.”

The Hawks have a game on Tuesday, December 19, against Arthur-Christian. They hope to improve to a 9-5 for this season.