Happy hawkidays

Go Hawks! The cheerleaders alongside the Hawk are cheering during the varsity basketball game . The Hawks won the game and moved to 8-5 on the season.

Go Hawks! The cheerleaders alongside the Hawk are cheering during the varsity basketball game . The Hawks won the game and moved to 8-5 on the season. "I feel like the crowd was a very important factor in helping us win," said Nate Durbin.

Christine Fasick

Christine Fasick

Connor Hurelbrink, Executive Producer

On Friday, December 15, 2017, Meridian Boys Basketball beat Argenta Oreana with a score of 63-55. With the holiday season around the corner, the student section decided to have an ugly Christmas sweater night.

The Hawks came into the game sitting at a 7-5 record. With the band in full effect, the Hawks started warm-ups in one of the most electric games of the season. The hype was mainly generated by the great turnout of students all in their favorite Christmas sweaters. “I think that it is always more fun when the student section has a theme, it gives more people a reason to come to the games,” said senior cheerleader Bailey Felter.

The Hawks started out taking an early 16-9 lead near the end of the first quarter. However, Argenta Oreana would eventually scrape back making the score 35-32 at the half. “We started the game out strong, but midway through the second quarter we settled for bad shots and didn’t help on defense very well,” stated senior guard Nate Durbin.

The minuscule lead came as a surprise for the Hawks having already beat Argenta Oreana by 19 points in their first matchup in the opening round of the Macon County Tournament. Senior guard Cameron Getz said, “We came into this game very overconfident and thought we could coast through.”

Meridian came out of the half flat, missing shots they should have made. This allowed Argenta Oreana to gain a lead going into the fourth quarter. The Hawks quickly took the lead back after a pair of threes and a couple steals. The student section was in full effect throughout the game, but they definitely became a factor in the fourth quarter. “Once we regained the lead in the fourth, I knew that we had them,” said senior student section member, Nathan Berger.

The Hawks won the game 63-55, much closer than the 82-63 victory in the first matchup. Getz finished with 15 points, Garett Misenhelter with 13 points, and Connor Hurelbrink with 17 points, which helped the Hawks get the victory. This was in large part due to the student section’s ugly sweater night which drew more fans than are present at most games.