Numbers have risen

"Team" on three! As the girls basketball team huddles up, Mitch Cloe, the head coach, discusses the team expectations and goals of the larger team for this upcoming season. Compared to last year's numbers, this year there was an increase in girls basketball players. Cloe said, “We had 13 players last year. We are going to be around 18 this year. This year will bring depth.”

Alexis Rosenberger

Alexis Rosenberger

Alexis Rosenberger, Reporter

Starting the season off with an increase in players, the Meridian girls’ basketball team had their first practice October 30.

MHS’s girls’ basketball head coach, Mitch Cloe said, “We had 13 players last year. We are going to be around 18 this year. This year will bring depth.”

According to Cloe, the girls’ basketball program has lost 98% of their scoring from the previous year. There are questions and concerns as to how this upcoming season is going to go based off other teams’ comments. The increase in players has also brought an increase to the amount of possible starters. Kaitlyn Parker, junior, thinks the spots of the lost upperclassmen from the previous year will be filled better now that the team is larger.

Coach Cloe said, “We’ve probably got 10 kids here that absolutely could start so it’s gonna push each and every one of them, whereas last year it was a little different. We were pretty set into five or six kids, and we didn’t have a lot of depth.”

Cloe’s coaching techniques are based more on mentality than physicality. He says a player’s effort and attitude will determine their playing time. Parker believes having an increase in possible starters will result in a backup plan for if another player is having an off-day. Considering the larger team, senior, Abby Herbert, said there were a few benefits to the addition of members this year. “We will be able to get more game-like stuff done in practice, and we will be able to get a break, which will help in tough games,” said Herbert.

Cloe believes the increase in players will “absolutely help the team, we get more numbers out here and it helps you with numbers in practice and also doesn’t let kids get complacent in being a starter.”

The team’s first game is two weeks away at Arthur- Lovington on November 13.