Rounding third and headed to a new home

Play ball! Chelsea Getz will play D1 softball at Tennessee State University in the fall. Playing D1 softball has been a dream of hers since she was little.

Play ball! Chelsea Getz will play D1 softball at Tennessee State University in the fall. Playing D1 softball has been a dream of hers since she was little. "I want to play college softball because I love it and I've been playing ever since I was young and summer ball has been my life."

Teran Elaine Photography

Teran Elaine Photography

Justin Hendrian, Reporter

Chelsea Getz is one of few athletes that have the ability to go on to play Division 1 softball. Getz will attend college at Tennessee State in Nashville. Getz started playing softball when she was in third grade and plays summer ball for the Central Illinois Chaos 99 Elite. Getz also has a brother (Dakota Getz) that went on to play football at Iowa University.

Cameron Getz (younger brother) stated, “It’s really cool having another sibling go D1, it really proves how much work and dedication our family puts into sports and hopefully I will be able to do the same in the future.”

Getz’s mom and dad push her to be the best she can be. They are always making sure she hits every single day even it’s in the off-season and also doing her workouts. Getz states she practices softball every day because she wants to be able to play softball in college.

Getz mentions, “I am most looking forward to being in Tennessee, and being on my own. Also seeing what it is like to be away from my family and playing softball in college. I want to play college softball because I’ve been playing ever since I was young and summer ball has been my life.”

After Getz’s four years of playing softball in high school, she is among some of the best players in the area. Earlier this season she suffered an ankle injury mid-season which caused her to miss some games, but when she came back she picked up right where she left off. She has also had a huge impact on her teammates as well as pushing them to be better on and off of the field.

Fellow team captain, Amy Aukamp said, “It’s nice having someone alongside who can push me to be better, and she pushes me to be a better player by refusing to do things the easy way. For example, if we are hitting each other ground balls she’ll hit them hard at me.”

Misty Getz is supportive of her daughter and added, “Chelsea has had a dream to play college softball since she was a young girl and she has worked very hard to achieve that goal. She played softball year round for several years and she works with a private hitting coach. At 14 years old she played a National Tournament in Tennessee said to me that weekend, “Mom, I will be playing College Softball in Tennessee.” The day she committed to play at TSU was one of the happiest days of her softball career.”

Chelsea Getz said, “I would not be where I am at today in my life or softball without the support of my parents, and I love them,” she said with a smile.

M. Getz is really proud of her daughter. She stated, “I am super proud of her for going D1 but I would have been just as proud if it were DII or DIII as long as she was happy with the school and softball program. Her hard work and dedication paid off and she was in love with the school so I could not be happier.”

Last night Meridian won the first game in Regionals and is now advancing to the next round. Come out and support your Hawks!