Boys CIC track meet

Bang! As the gun shoots off for the CIC track meet, the Hawks show signs of good competition. Nate Durbin says,

Bang! As the gun shoots off for the CIC track meet, the Hawks show signs of good competition. Nate Durbin says, "It is always fun time to just go out and compete against good competition."

Cameron Getz

Cameron Getz

Cameron Getz, Reporter

The Meridian Hawks boys track team competed last Tuesday in Macon for the CIC conference meet.

Even though the Hawks placed 7th in the meet out of 8 teams, there were some good things that happened.

Marshall Brown, a junior sprinter for the Hawks track team, got second in the 200-meter dash, with a time of 23.50, which is very close to his personal record of 23.24. Brown owns the school record in the 200-meter dash which he set at the Warrensburg-Latham meet just a few weeks ago.

Brown states, “It feels like all of my hard work is starting to pay off.”

Cameron Getz, a high jumper, and sprinter for the Hawks set a new CIC meet record in the high jump. The old record for the high jump was 6’6″, previously held by former Hawk Noah Adams. The new record set by Getz was a jump of 6’7″, which placed him first for that event.

Getz said, “I was just trying to jump my best this meet, and when I was told that the previous record was 6’6″, I was really hoping to beat that, and when I did I was pumped.”

Nate Durbin, a junior track member for the Hawks, also had a decent meet himself. He was a part of 3 events, which were the 800-meter run, 4×800 meter relay, and the 4×400 meter relay. His best event is the 800-meter run and placed 3rd. His 4×400 meter relay team did very well, they placed 2nd and ran a time of 3:36.28. Even though that is a very good time, it does not compare to last year’s relay team who placed 8th in the state with a time of 3:29.86, but he was still pleased with placing 2nd.

Durbin stated, “We were younger last year so that made us have to work that much harder to get where we got.”