Reaching new heights

Track star! Cameron Getz poses in front of the high jump mat. Getz is really pumped he ended up accomplishing a new personal best at the most recent meet. Getz stated,

Track star! Cameron Getz poses in front of the high jump mat. Getz is really pumped he ended up accomplishing a new personal best at the most recent meet. Getz stated, "It was a class 1A, 2A, and 3A meet, and I was ranked third coming out. I didn't think I was going to win it, and was excited I did because it was against a lot of big schools."

Justin Hendrian

Justin Hendrian

Justin Hendrian, Reporter

Meridian Hawks track star Cameron Getz currently stands at 5’8” tall (not something you would expect from an average high jumper). Despite Getz being smaller than most who compete, he ended up winning the most recent track meet with a new personal best of 6’6”, against 1A, 2A, and 3A schools.

Getz trains with his personal coach, Drew Holl, to hopefully become the state champion this year with all the hard work and effort Getz puts in daily. Connor Hurelbrink, friend and teammate, stated, “Cameron Getz is currently tied for second in class 1A according to illinoistoptimes.com. To be ranked that high this early in the season definitely shows that he has a good opportunity to possibly win state this year.”

Hurelbrink and Getz are both involved in high jump, so they usually follow the same routine before a meet. “We both take a warm up lap and then some high knees and we’re set,” Hurelbrink added with a laugh.

Last year Getz placed eighth in the state and was only a sophomore competing against some really high competition, especially because he trained alongside state champion, Noah Adams, a Meridian graduate. Drew Holl also worked with Adams throughout his high school track career. Since Adams was really dedicated to high jump, he was able to obtain a scholarship to continue doing what he loves at the collegiate level for the University of Illinois.

Getz is tied for second in the state and is top 100 in the nation. Getz voiced, “I put in a lot of time and effort because I love high jump. I want to do it in college, and I can’t really go to college for it without putting in a lot of time and effort.”

Getz would like to continue doing what he loves at the collegiate level, just like Adams. Getz has been receiving notices from colleges to possibly join their track team. He is not sure where he is going to attend yet. It would be a great thing for Getz to go on after high school to represent Meridian, and it would also give Getz a chance to be elected and entered into the Meridian Hall of Fame.

Getz also has a childhood friend who is involved with the track team, Nate Durbin. Durbin stated, “It’s cool to train with Cameron because we always push each other to go harder and it makes us better. He also has a really good work ethic, and he is always working really hard and it makes me work hard.”

Getz hopes to become the state champion or at least place in the state competition this year, to keep the standards high for the Meridian track team.