Bump, set, spike

Natalie Brown

Natalie Brown

Kendra Merris, Reporter

But don’t forget the dig! Drew Newberry, senior, the Varsity libero on the Meridian girl’s volleyball team, got the most digs this year. After graduation, she plans to continue her volleyball career at Blackburn College.

Wednesday, November 16, Newberry will sign with Blackburn College to play volleyball. Newberry said she wants to play for Blackburn because, “I liked how the coach expressed how much he wanted me to play for his team and to make a big change for the program. Also, the campus is very beautiful and the teachers and administration are very helpful and hands on.”

Newberry wants to play college volleyball because the pace will be faster, the balls will be hit harder, and playing in college gives you the opportunity to travel. Natalie Brown, Newberry’s mom, says that the transition from high school to college will be hard, with traveling to games and keeping up on school.

Newberry has played for six years now. Throughout her high school volleyball career, there have been ups and downs. One of Newberry’s favorite memories is when the team went to Monicals for pizza before a game and some teammates were judging their food babies.

Dominique McPeek, a friend and volleyball player says, “My favorite memory with Drew is when Drew decided to climb up the basketball hoop to get a shoe. She jumped in an attempt to grab the bar and fell on the ground.”

That accident was one of Newberry’s down moments causing her to have surgery on her wrist and costing her the rest of her volleyball season.

But volleyball isn’t only tough on the player. Natalie Brown, Newberry’s mother, says that Newberry leaving for college gives her mixed feelings because the mom in her doesn’t want her to go. But Natalie is excited and supports her daughter 100%. She goes on to say that she is ecstatic that she gets to continue her dream and her career in volleyball.

Newberry will be working in her off season to prepare for college. She will play volleyball for Central Area Club Volleyball to improve her skills and will also be doing workouts with Dominique McPeek.

“I think the dedication to the sport makes her a good player,” says McPeek.