Laced up for the last time

Morgan Menges

Morgan Menges

Boyd Mathias, Staff Reporter

As the football team suits up for the last game of the season, eight senior players realize this could be the last time they ever suit up for a football game. They have spent countless hours throughout high school dedicated to the sport.

As the team sits in anticipation of kickoff, Austin Lindsay gets the team fired up with one of his inspirational speeches. Lindsay is a four year varsity veteran. He enjoys spending his newly founded free time lounging around. The thing he will miss most about football is giving those inspirational speeches to pump up the players before the game. When asked about his future sports plans he replied with, “I might try to get good ole Jordan Stogner to show me the bowling scene, he’ll teach me the ropes and I’ve got the raw talent to be the best ever in the Macon County region. I just need a mentor and hopefully it will be Jordan.”

Another four year veteran for varsity football is Ethan Smith. Smith spends all of his recently acquired free time hanging out with his friends and girlfriend, or putting in the man hours at Mega Replay. Smith will miss the satisfactory feeling that comes with getting a win. He also is contemplating whether to be a part of the track and field team this year.

The next senior on the list is Josh White. White is looking forward to getting all of the extra hours working at Kroger and getting his social life back. The thing he will miss most about his career is the bond that has formed with his teammates. White’s extra curricular activities he has left to look forward to are Scholastic Bowl and the spring play where he will play Javert in Les Miserbles.

The next two seniors are Wyatt Moser and Jarrett Hill. When asked what they will be doing with all of the free time they responded with, “hanging out with the honeys and preparing for baseball.”  They will miss the adrenaline rush while running out onto the field before the game the most.

Dylan Marshall looks forward to raking in the money with all of the hours at Kroger he expects to get now that football is over. Marshall is really going to miss being able to just go out on the field and being able to lay a huge hit on someone. However, Marshall has plenty of time to prepare for the baseball season coming up this spring.

Collin Johnson does not get much of a break after his football season ends. Johnson’s hockey season has already gotten underway, leaving him with back-to-back sports. The thing he will miss most is the rush you get when you reel in the pass.

The only senior football player left is Dalton Collins. Collins is enjoying his short break before basketball starts by hanging out with his best friend Boyd Mathias. “I really don’t know what to do with all of this time, I have never had this feeling of freedom before.” Collins will miss hanging out with his football buddies and the bonds they shared the most. Next up for Collins is the basketball season where they hope to make a run at the state title. After basketball he looks to wrap up his senior year running track and playing baseball.

1 Comment

One Response to “Laced up for the last time”

1. Dalton Collins on January 13th, 2015 11:49 am

This article is fantasic.

[Reply]

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Reaching new heights

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Senior sendoff

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

One K Kircher

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Expected repeat

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

After seven years, it all comes to an end

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Rebuilding a program

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Recap of Meridian Hawks basketball season

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

The four year track and field athletes

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

2014 GEICO Bassmaster Classic

• Laced up for the last time

Featured Sports Story Carousel

What does it take to be a Meridian cheerleader?

Laced up for the last time