Rebuilding a program

The countdown to the first game against rivals Maroa-Forsyth.

Darren Davis

The beginning of another year for Meridian Football has already begun and has been going on for awhile with the off-season workouts. The players work hard in the weight room and they have a lot of motivation with Coach Davis yelling and pushing them to get better. There is also a countdown clock that is counting down the opening game against Maroa-Forsyth.

This year’s football team is hoping to be bigger, faster, and stronger with the workouts that they are doing with Coach Davis. Even though the team lost a lot of players that were seniors last year, they will still have the leadership they need to win games. They will have returning players that started varsity on both sides of the ball, Dalton Collins, Austin Lindsay, Ethan Smith, Carter Duffer, and Wyatt Moser. The team will also have to overcome the part of them being a younger team without a lot of seniors compared to last year’s team.

Dalton Collins will have to lead the football team since he will be next year’s starting quarterback as of now. Other leadership on the defensive side of the ball will be Austin Lindsay, he will have to step up and get his job done to help the others around him. Lindsay was asked how he thought this year’s team would be and he said, “we need to focus on improving.” The most worries of next year’s football team is getting bigger and trying to improve on how many people come out to play.  Coach Davis had the kids in the weight room for the next season two weeks after the 2013-2014 season.

When people are asked about next year’s football team that were the seniors the year before, they think that this year’s team will be missing the leadership that last year’s team had. “I don’t think it’s going to be a single player who steps up and leads the team to victories, it’s going to be a team thing, and like myself, I will lead this team the best I ca..” Kyle Garren said after being asked who will lead the team to wins this year. Garren is going to be a junior for next year’s football team and a big contributor to the program. He plays running back and him and Aaron Pierce will be fighting for the starting spot.

This team is going to have to improve a lot to win games this year. They have to be well conditioned and Coach Davis makes sure that they will be conditioned. Football is a team sport; everyone has to be doing their job for the team to succeed. If one person isn’t, everything is messed up and everyone is out of order. Kyle Garren knows that he might not be named a captain but he will make sure to do his job when he has his chances to play for his team. Meridian football players are working hard to change the way the program is by getting bigger, faster, and stronger.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Rebuilding a program”

1. Brandon Fornwalt on May 7th, 2014 8:55 am

The picture of the clock shows that the players have a lot of time to improve. I would love to see them beat m-f!

[Reply]

2. Carly Goodman on May 7th, 2014 8:56 am

Your lead is good. Seems like Garren has a lot to say which makes the article lengthy!

[Reply]

3. Hailee Ray on May 9th, 2014 9:21 am

The picture has a lot to say along with the quotes, they are awesome.

[Reply]

4. Joshua Whitaker on May 12th, 2014 7:51 am

The photo sums it all up, it is great knowing how much time you have until you get onto the field with M-F!

[Reply]

5. Ellie Landrus on May 12th, 2014 8:48 am

Good article with good quotes. The picture really adds to it. I’m excited to see what improvements Coach Davis has made.

[Reply]

6. Beth Powell on May 12th, 2014 8:59 am

Let’s hope all the hard work and time pays off. It would be great for Meridian to beat Maroa-Forsyth next year!

[Reply]

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Reaching new heights

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Senior sendoff

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

One K Kircher

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Expected repeat

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Laced up for the last time

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

After seven years, it all comes to an end

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Recap of Meridian Hawks basketball season

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

The four year track and field athletes

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

2014 GEICO Bassmaster Classic

• Rebuilding a program

Featured Sports Story Carousel

What does it take to be a Meridian cheerleader?

Rebuilding a program