Seniors take their final bow

One final curtain call. The seniors stand with their shadow boxes. The underclassmen worked all morning on these to prepare them for the senior sendoff.

One final curtain call. The seniors stand with their shadow boxes. The underclassmen worked all morning on these to prepare them for the senior sendoff. "We're really like a family, and I'm gonna miss that," says senior Jake Deetz.

Bill Deetz

Bill Deetz

Sadie Scott, Editor-in-Chief

Every year, seniors graduate and must leave behind the activities they were once a part of. In drama, students must work together at rehearsals to ensure the show goes smoothly. You can create tight bonds this way. That’s why this year’s senior send-off, which is the largest it’s ever been, is said to be a little more bittersweet than others.

Connor Hurelbrink, senior, spent all of high school being head usher of the shows. This year was the first year he decided to become a part of the cast. Hurelbrink says, “At first, I felt like an outsider because all the previous cast members have been performing together for years, but I was welcomed with open arms, and they helped make my first performance memorable!”

Though, for some seniors who have done high school drama for all four years, and even beyond, it was more difficult to say goodbye. Senior Jake Deetz started his high school drama career in middle school, during their production of Grease. Deetz says the hardest part of leaving is, “Really missing all of the new faces and fun roles I get to play. I love all the people and the atmosphere. We were really like a family and I’m gonna miss that feeling.

Seniors aren’t the only ones affected, however. The underclassmen also lose cast members and, in most cases, friends they’ve formed close bonds with. This was sophomore Claire Palmer’s first senior sendoff, and she says about saying goodbye to so many seniors, “It was awful because they all mean so much to me, and it won’t be the same without them.”

Underclassmen sometimes looked to the seniors for guidance. Deetz says, “I hope I showed them how to not only have fun, but how to also get stuff done when it needs to get done and how to work well under pressure.”

“When I first joined the drama program, they were all super nice, and there are so many of them. It’s hard not to [look up to them],” says Palmer.