A spectacular start to a spectaculathon

A spectacle unfolding! Hallie Gates excitedly holds up a script for the next Meridian production. She plans on auditioning for narrator one in the show.

A spectacle unfolding! Hallie Gates excitedly holds up a script for the next Meridian production. She plans on auditioning for narrator one in the show. "I hope that in this show, I can be more confident and put myself into the character more," says Gates.

Hallie Gates

Hallie Gates

Sadie Scott, Editor-in-Chief

With The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe being earlier in the year, Meridian Drama Club has decided to perform another play… and this one has a much less serious tone. Meridian will perform the comedic show, The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon, May 4 and 5.

“This show will certainly differ from others. For one, we’ve never done something this fast-paced. Rock of Ages had a lot of comedy, but there was also a love story mixed in there. This show is straight comedy. The love stories are superficial,” says the director, Mrs. Moore.

The show has various characters, including a monster-truck loving narrator, a girl with no hands, a crab person, and even the devil himself. In addition to the often nonsensical characters, the hilarious dialogue really gives the show “the kind of silly humor that shouldn’t be funny, but is,” according to freshman, Hallie Gates.

The choice of a higher energy show with such a fast pace has delighted many of the club’s more comedic performers.

Senior Jake Deetz says, “I like the quickness of it, it’s so fast-paced and witty that there’s always something new and never really a dull moment.”

Moore adds that her favorite aspect of the show is “it has edgy humor” reminding her of the Reduced Shakespeare Company movie.

If all this sounds exciting to you, it should be noted it’s not too late to sign up. Auditions are being held on January 23 and 24, and you can request a sign-up time with Mrs. Moore.

In doing a comedic show varying so much from others, Moore expects this show to draw in more students, saying “it is certainly drawing in seniors who’ve not dabbled in drama in the past.”

First timers shouldn’t fret about making their debut though, as returning members are more than happy to share audition tips.

“Always try to act out a scene at least three different ways so you can know what will be the best way to do it,” says Gates.

“Don’t sweat it,” says Deetz, “Once you start worrying or doubting yourself, you mess up and possibly fail at getting the part you dreamed of.”