What up wit dat??? -Eligibility policy

Drew Snow

Touchdown! The junior powder-puff team training on the field and working in the class to keep the grades they need to participate in all homecoming activities.

Drew Snow, Reporter

At Meridian Senior High School, there is a new eligibility rule. It was put into play this year for the first time by Mr. Hurelbrink, with school board approval, and is intended to push students to strive to keep their grades up.

The rule is quite simple and is effective for every student in the school. Students at Meridian must now be eligible, meaning they can only one F or better, to attend events such as homecoming, prom, student council, and all other extracurricular activities or clubs. This has always been a rule for sports, but as Hurelbrink states, “Is it really right that a kid can fail four classes, yet they still get to go to prom or homecoming or still get to be part of the play or whatever is going on”?

Senior, Benjamin Parks is a member of the high school’s baseball team and believes, “It will help to weed out some of the people who really don’t try in school, and make them actually contribute to their grades, and not sit here passing by on F’s just waiting to get held back.” Parks has a positive outlook on this new rule and feels it will encourage students to keep good grades, based on the fact they won’t be able to participate in school events.

With the homecoming dance approaching, we enter a whole week of dressing up and fun games held during the school day. Students that are considered ineligible will not be able to attend these in-school games, however, they can still attend the Friday night football game. There will be one final check over grades the Wednesday of homecoming week, and if a student is a member of the homecoming court, and falls onto the list, they will no longer be a participant. Hurelbrink, in his effort to avoid this problem, will send emails to students failing, or on the border, to get their grades up so they have the most amount of time possible to correct their error.

Sophomore Aaron Sheumaker stated, “I guess not everyone is good at school, so for some people, it could be harder to keep up, so it could be unfair for some people; but for the people who slack and don’t get their stuff together, I think it is fair.” Sheumaker doesn’t think that he will be affected by the policy because he has always done well in school and maintains his grades. He feels the rule will, “make people want to [keep their grades up] because they are noticing that they’re not going to get to do as many things as others.”

Overall, this is a policy that has no intention of punishing students, just keep all students held to the same standards, make them keep the grades they need to participate in activities, and go on to graduate.