Alumni help out Meridian Drama

Encore! Meridian drama will host their first alumni show on May 13. This show is a fundraising event to help the drama club.

Sheila Moore

Encore! Meridian drama will host their first alumni show on May 13. This show is a fundraising event to help the drama club. "I am the most excited to see all of the old actors and actresses. I miss them all so much," says senior Tiffany Reed.

Andrea Ricker, Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, May 13, Meridian Drama will perform a fundraising event, titled, In with the Old, Joined by the New, their first alumni show.

“I’m excited to get to sing my parts again, I thought I’d only get one chance to perform them,” says returning alum Audrey Durbin. The alumni show will feature select numbers from Grease, Les Miserables, Rock of Ages, and Ghost.

Practices are already underway for the show. “I’ve been practicing since [Ms. Moore] sent out the schedule,” says senior drama member Tiffany Reed. The show not only includes alumni but also current drama members. This means that as long as you’ve performed in one of these shows, you can perform in the alumni show.

Reed adds, “I feel like seeing everyone back together is going to make a heartwarming moment.”

“I don’t think it will be that different,” Durbin states on coming back to the drama program. She adds, “I was there when the big changes happened with the stage and during all the adjusting years performing in different auditoriums so nothing can really phase me with the program. I think it’ll be a lot more exciting since I’ve gone without, rather than coming back to it year after year.”

The event is a fundraiser for the drama program. The program took a financial hit after the ticket sales for this year’s production of Ghost didn’t meet expectations. The show is meant to be a fun way to help out for next year.

“The idea for the dinner came to me as I was made aware of our current drama budget,” says Sarah Gregory, who was the person to originally start this event. She adds, “I have seen first-hand the speaking skills, the leadership skills, the team-building skills, and the confidence that Meridian students acquire through the arts programs at Meridian over the past seven years, and I am not willing to let this program fail away.”

Before the show, there will be a Hickory River dinner at 6 p.m, with tickets for the event costing $10. There will also be a silent auction and a table decorating contest to further help the drama club.

“If you loved watching the past performances and love the music you should definitely come out,” says Durbin, “Plus, you’re supporting your local drama department which is always amazing, the arts always need to be supported.”

Tickets are available through any of the actors, at the high school, or you may email Mrs. Moore at moores@meridianhawks.net