Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Time to party! The sequel to the popular comedy, Neighbors, is finally here. Watch as

Time to party! The sequel to the popular comedy, Neighbors, is finally here. Watch as "team old people" battle it out against the new sorority moving in next door. In theaters May 20, 2016.

IMDb

IMDb

TillieAnn Boliard, Editor-in-Chief

Back in early May of 2014, Neighbors, starring Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne, and Zac Efron, came to theaters. Now, in mid-May of 2016, the sequel to this well-known comedy is here.

If you remember Neighbors, you probably remember the laughter that came with it. Now, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, is proving to be just as entertaining, if not more. The first film follows a couple with a newborn baby as they try to do whatever it takes to get rid of their new neighbors, a fraternity. The new installment of this film follows the same general idea of the first, featuring the same couple as they are preparing for a new addition to the family, and a college group decides to move in next door, causing all sorts of trouble.

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising has something I personally feel the first movie lacked: a progressive plot. I applaud writers Andrew Jay Cohen and Brendan O’Brien on their ability to incorporate a current issue in today’s society in their movie, sexism. The movie is accurately able to portray how many young women feel in today’s society where they are often seen more of a sexual object than a human being. Thankfully, the writers were able to not downplay the seriousness of this issue while still being able to be funny and laugh-inducing.

The movie was fun and entertaining, and at the same time, thought provoking and eye opening. Throughout the story, many topics were touched on, such as, but not limited to: how parents feel to see their children grow up, sexism is not limited to just being against the female population and personal morals.

If anything, this movie really goes to show that you should not go against who you are for something trivial.

The cast for Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising stayed true to the main characters of the first film, while introducing new characters. The movie stars the following: Seth Rogan as Mac Radner, Rose Byrne as Kelly Radner, Zac Efron as Teddy Sanders, Chloë Grace Moretz as Shelby, Beanie Feldstein as Nora, Kiersey Clemons as Beth, and with a celebrity appearance by Selena Gomez as Phi Lamda President.

Note that this movie is rated R for restricted, meaning anyone under the age of 17 wanting to see this movie requires an accompanying parent or adult guardian. This movie is rated R for a reason, do not see if you dislike vulgar language, inappropriate jokes and innuendos, are too young, or lack a sense of humor.

However, do go see this movie if you are interested in the topic of sexism, old enough to get into the movie, want a false idea of what college will be like, enjoy the muscles of Zac Efron, or if you were a fan of the first movie.

Out of ten stars, how would you rate this movie?