What makes an Olympian?

Hometown girl.  Lauren Doyle takes a break from her busy schedule to answer questions for Meridian Daily. Doyle received a plaque and was recognized by the school on January, 2, 2016. Denna Williams claims Meridian should

Corryn Brock

Hometown girl. Lauren Doyle takes a break from her busy schedule to answer questions for Meridian Daily. Doyle received a plaque and was recognized by the school on January, 2, 2016. Denna Williams claims Meridian should "make it known that we [the community] are proud of her."

Corryn Brock, Reporter

Meridian has had many great athletes walk through its halls.

None of them like Lauren Doyle, however. “She was all sports, all the time,” teacher and club leader, Sheila Moore remembered. Coach Denna Williams says, “I was just hoping she would get to run or play in college.” Eastern Illinois University (EIU) recruited Lauren for their womens rugby team after seeing her athletic abilities.

Rugby wasn’t an expected path.

Many people believed Doyle would do something athletic but were surprised when she received the offer to play for EIU. “I didn’t even know Eastern had a rugby team. If you would have seen her play powder puff football, she was just awesome,” says Williams. Doyle didn’t know what rugby was, but with her extensive athletic abilities she was able to succeed in this sport. Doyle was a star athlete in high school playing soccer, volleyball, basketball, and running track.

Many people were excited to hear that she would be on the Olympic team.

Her coach and fan, Denna Williams, says “…It was very exciting, made me cry,” and “it still makes [her] misty-eyed.” Many people were excited when they found out that we had such an impressive feat come from a Meridian graduate and have said they will be excited to watch her succeed on the Olympic field.