• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Meridian graduation set for May 18, 5pm

The Meridian Daily

The truth about how women are treated

The truth about how women are treated

The standards that are placed on women by society has been carried into schools, offices,  and social media.

The standards that are placed on women by society has been carried into schools, offices, and social media.

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert, Editor-in-Chief

“Ugly.”

“Fat.”

“Slut.”

“Freak.”

These are things I hear at my school. The ironic part is it’s not just men who say them, but also women. It is crazy to me that people who are unjustly treated, would then treat others the exact same way. My mother always told me to treat others the way you want to be treated. So why are women tearing each other apart when they need to unite and defy the standards society has put on them?

To grow up as a woman in today’s society, we are held to a higher standard than men. Therefore, it is hard to be a confident woman in the world nowadays… let alone in high school. Especially, when there are other females that harass you and think they are better because they resemble more of what society wants in a woman.

Society has conditioned women to feel the need to always wear makeup, dress up, and desire the attention of men. So when one does not conform to these set ideals, they are picked apart by others. It’s ridiculous we have to stress about the kind of harassment we may be faced with that day.

In classrooms, girls are whispered and taunted at about what they wear and what they look like. To think we are there to get an education only to be harassed. It can be upsetting when you are finally comfortable with your body and yourself, just to be torn down by the standards that are set by society. The ironic part of all of this is these bullies might make fun of you for “flaws” they might have too. “Flaws” are okay, no one is perfect, so don’t try and force yourself to be.

We need to fix this mentality because it is a destructive way to think and act towards one another. It’s time we end the high standards that we put on women. I ask you to rethink how you may act towards others, because you may unknowingly be part of the problem. A simple readjustment in the way you treat women can mean a great deal to them and can be a start to the readjustment of the ideals set by society.

The last thing I want is for anyone to be self-conscious or feeling unhappy in their body because of something someone has said or done. Schools should be a safe place for everyone–no matter your gender.