• Emma Jackson signs to University of Wisconsin-Platteville for basketball

• Buy tickets for Mamma Mia! at https://www.showtix4u.com/

The Meridian Daily

Make America divided again

Journalists%27+coverage+of+Nick+Sandmann+and+the+Covington+Catholic+boys+seemed+one-sided...at+least+on+the+first+day+of+coverage.+As+facts+unfolded%2C+this+initial+view+of+Sandmann+was+debunked+by+many+in+the+media.+

Make America divided again

Journalists' coverage of Nick Sandmann and the Covington Catholic boys seemed one-sided...at least on the first day of coverage. As facts unfolded, this initial view of Sandmann was debunked by many in the media.

Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Staff Editorial

“Racists.”

“Bigots.”

An encounter at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. on January 18, between Nick Sandmann and Nathan Phillips, left everyone debating who was in the wrong. Was it Sandmann, a junior at Covington Catholic High School, who wore a “Make America Great Again” hat and stood his ground? Or was it Phillips, a Native American, who was banging a drum while singing? Or was it the journalist who first brought this encounter to light?

The journalist chose the story they wanted people to see which is not what journalism is about.

Journalism by definition is the act of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting news and information. A big part of journalism is research which journalists who first covered the story did not present. If they would’ve researched the facts and the people involved, then they would have known that this is not the first time Phillips has twisted a story.

We, the journalists at Meridian High School, believe the journalist was in the wrong. A journalist’s job is to give EQUAL representation, show the facts of all sides of a story and let the people decide what they believe. Journalists who initially covered the story should have taken the time to publish both sides instead of rushing to get one side out to the public. The story would have been just as interesting, but it would not have led people to argue/fight and send death threats to Sandmann.

Journalists destroyed their careers to publish a story they knew would get them attention. Look at what this story has done to the relationships between people in America. Our country has been divided yet again over a story that was made for attention. If they wanted to actually produce a good, factual story, then they would’ve interviewed Sandmann, Phillips, and the cameraman at least. However, they took one of the biggest arguments in our country today and exploited it–racism.

We need to have consequences set in place for this kind of disgusting reporting. There are some legal measures people can take, for example, suing in regards to false facts. However, nothing really holds a journalist accountable like the public who reads these stories.

We need to change journalism, it needs to be something people respect and can trust for information. So we ask you to hold your journalists accountable, there needs to be consequences for fake news. Therefore, change should take place now and it starts with you.

1 Comment

One Response to “Make America divided again”

1. arb1 on February 3rd, 2019 8:09 pm

Sadly if you look back over last 5-6 years you can find many many instances of this kinda “journalism” if you can call it that happening like this. They take 1 sides story and present it as whole 100% truth without investigating to see if there was more to story then just a small edited video. If you look at most these stories they are used to push 1 sides agenda at the expense of the facts.

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Pritzker’s New Bill

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Mother Nature

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Government shutdown?

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Buy one get one, hot cocoa

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

We live in a society

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Exam week, mood

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Grimm Comic

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Easter Fools

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

Real Meat

• Make America divided again

Cartoons

The future

Make America divided again