Jenny Hendricks finishes first year as varsity head coach in nine years

Meridian Volleyball in a timeout during their pink night game against Warrensburg-Latham.

Meridian Volleyball in a timeout during their pink night game against Warrensburg-Latham. "[Hendricks] encourages us to work our hardest and never give up. She keeps our head high and helps us be the best we can," said Lyric Greenwood, junior.

Courtney Sollman

Courtney Sollman

Courtney Sollman

Breanna Evans, Reporter

Jenny Hendricks finished her season as Meridian High School varsity volleyball head coach on Tuesday, October 29, in a loss against Cerro Gordo High School. Hendricks found her way back to the varsity coaching position after a nine year hiatus.

The team was relieved when Hendricks was announced as their next head coach.

“I initially decided to take the head coaching position because the girls deserved some consistency. The volleyball team has had three different coaches in the last three years,” said Hendricks.

Hendricks was her team’s number one cheerleader all season and was best known to jump and scream on the sideline when her team got a point.

“Coach Hendricks is different than all the other coaches because she genuinely wants what is best for her team,” said Lyric Greenwood, a junior. “She puts people on the court who deserve to play and will help us win.”

Hendricks uses coaching strategies from high school to coach her middle school team.

“After I started the season, I began to realize that coaching at the high school level made perfect sense because I also coach at the middle school level,” said Hendricks. “I now know what the middle school players need to work on before playing at the high school level.”

Throughout the season Hendricks would always tell her team to keep their heads up, work hard, have fun, and play with some fire.

“She [Hendricks] pushed me to my limit,” said Kiarra Giles, freshman. “[She] kept getting on me during practice to push me harder. She helped me get better at what I do.”

In the team’s conference match, they used three elements to beat Warrensburg-Latham High School, “My girls, for the first time, completely dominated the other team. We did everything right on the court; we had fire; we communicated; we worked as a team,” said Hendricks.

The team is ready to work hard over the summer to prepare for their next season and continue their fire.