The Hawks fall to Bloomington Central Catholic

Tyler Ward, Reporter

The Meridian Hawks, fresh off their first regional win against Tri-County with a final score of 61-56, faced off with Bloomington Central Catholic. Bloomington defeated the St.Teresa Bulldogs in their first regional game.

The Regional was hosted by Olympia High School, but the drive didn’t matter for either team. Central Catholic had a huge turnout in terms of spectators and their “student section.” The Hawks crowd turned out large as well.

“Three things will get us this win, effort, boxing out, and laying it all out on the floor,” said Dustin Clark before the big game against Central Catholic.

After warmups, the national anthem, and the starting players and coaches were announced for both teams, the teams were set and ready to get rolling.

The tip was won by Central Catholic, and 5 seconds after, Central Catholic hit a three-pointer to start off the game. The Hawks came down and tried to immediately answer with a three-pointer of their own and didn’t execute the play.

Central Catholic came right back down and hit yet another three-pointer in the corner. The Hawks came down the floor and immediately forced up a shot and missed. Central Catholic took advantage of the miss and immediately threw the ball down the floor to an open player running the floor and laid the ball in, followed by a timeout taken by the Hawks.

Central Catholic went on an 8-0 run in the first minutes of the game.

The timeout didn’t faze Central Catholic, they were raining threes, Central Catholic was getting any shot they wanted and making them at a consistent rate. The Hawks were forcing too many shots that were not going in.

At halftime, Central Catholic had scored 58 points to the Hawks 28. The Hawks had to change something to stop Central Catholic, so the Hawks threw every defense they could at them, but it didn’t stop them.

Central Catholic kept abusing the Hawks on offense, no matter what defense the Hawks threw at Central Catholic.

The final score of the game was 98-60, Central Catholic took home the win.